About the Organization
Founded as separate organizations in 1948, Jewish Long Beach and the Barbara and Ray Alpert JCC (AJCC) are the newly merged single agency serving the functions of a Jewish community center, Jewish federation, and Jewish community foundation for the Long Beach and west Orange County areas. Jewish Long Beach and the AJCC administer a wide variety of programs and services, rooted in Jewish values but open to all, including early childhood education, summer camp, and after-school programs, adult education, services for seniors, leadership development, fitness and wellness programs, advocacy, and much more. Jewish Long Beach also awards nearly $500,000 in grants annually to a variety of nonprofit agencies throughout the Long Beach area. The organization owns and operates an eight-acre multi-use campus in east Long Beach and manages approximately $35 million in philanthropic assets.
The Executive Director, Programs (EDP) will serve as a critical member of the executive management team. The EDP is an innovative, creative, and effective leader and is responsible for the comprehensive planning, implementation, management and oversight of all programmatic activities of a dynamic community center and outreach organization. The EDP will lead a collaborative effort to manage day-to-day community programs in collaboration with the CEO and executive management team. The EDP will be a seasoned, mission-focused, strategic, and process-minded leader with experience overseeing program directors and staff, while developing and maintaining a positive culture among a group of diverse, talented individuals. The EDP will articulate and implement the strategic vision of the agency; oversee a significant portfolio of programs and related services including fitness and wellness, Jewish education, arts and culture, active and senior adult engagement, volunteer engagement and membership experience/customer service; evaluate the effectiveness of programs; help to promote and diversify funding through effective resource stewardship; raise the agency’s profile through external communications; provide mentoring, guidance, supervision, and professional development to all program staff; and enhance the structure of the organization by staying abreast of developments in the Jewish Community Center and Jewish Federation movements.
Essential Position Responsibilities
• Oversees the coordination, integration, and delivery of all programs, contracts and related services, promoting collaboration, communication, and accountability between program areas and ensuring that the expectations of funders, partners, donors, constituents, clients, and other stakeholders are consistently met.
• Manages staff, including select department leads, responsible for carrying out community programming.
• Establishes annual program, departmental, and staff goals and objectives and tracks results against goals and accountability protocols.
• Institutes regular reporting protocols to evaluate program achievements in relationship to established goals.
• Works collaboratively and maintains clear and regular communications with the CEO, Board of Directors, and volunteer leadership, community partners and donors.
• Plans, executes, and facilitates program operations and communications strategies.
• Provides superior mentoring, supervision, and ongoing training and development of program directors and staff to ensure they feel supported to competently run their programs and meet strategic goals of the organization.
• Partners with CEO, board members and volunteers to engage and cultivate JCC and general community members.
• Creates the annual department budget plan and maintains a high level of fiscal responsibility.
• Establishes and implements an annual calendar of program activities.
• Serves as primary contact for all program events, coordinating vendors, volunteers, and schedules.
• Solicits support from large corporate donors in coordination with the Executive Director Development and the CEO.
• Directs the development of program promotion, outreach and advertising in coordination with the Marketing Manager.
• Oversees the management of operations database and program registrations.
• Establishes and improves operational implementation, ensuring that each program is working to its full potential and has full integration with other programs.
• Oversees policies and procedures, mission and vision in all program communications plans.
• Works with CEO and CFO to develop annual program revenue goals and plans to diversify and increase organizational budget through a comprehensive strategy of revenue generation.
• Regularly prepares reports including plans, accomplishments and challenges for executive management team and the Board of Directors.
• Clearly communicate the “Mission” ensuring everyone works toward the same goals.
• Create a positive environment where two-way communication, accountability, and strong trust are established.
• Promote teamwork and respect, both internally between staff, as well as in community-facing contexts with donors, volunteers, members, and other stakeholders.
• Provide excellent customer service, demonstrating the ability to respond with a high degree of urgency to the needs and requests of others, internally and externally. Understand the impact of their work on others.
• Understand safety policies and actively promote safe practices in the workplace.
• Maintain constructive relationships and demonstrate respect for everyone with whom they interact.
• Demonstrate the ability to deal constructively with a wide variety of situations, issues, personalities, and behaviors, including the ability to diffuse situations before conflicts arise, resolving conflicts directly and actively promoting and gaining cooperation from others.
• Accurately provide and receive information in oral and written communications.
• Consistently provide ideas, opinions, or information in an articulate, professional way.
• Actively listen to others and demonstrate understanding of diverse points of view.
• Willingness and ability to adjust to changing conditions or priorities.
• Take the initiative to identify and act on problems, and lead by example. Consistently make decisions that resolve problems and act decisively when necessary.
• Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to effectively manage both administrative and senior personnel.
• Computer skills preferred include MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and donor and membership databases (Raiser’s Edge, Daxko, or similar donor and customer relationship management systems preferred).
• Strong sense of ethics and respect for confidentiality of donor and consumer information
• Outstanding donor relations and customer service skills, plus experience working with lay leaders, board members, and other types of volunteers.
• Knowledge of budget development and administration.
• Ability to manage simultaneous, multiple projects, establish priorities, and meet deadlines
• Ability to function productively in a fast-paced high-pressure environment, work independently and accept direction.
Education, Experience, Requirements
• Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree preferred.
• Minimum five-years work experience demonstrating competency in comprehensive program development, customer and community relations, and communications/marketing. Not-for-profit agency experience strongly preferred.
• Knowledge and understanding of Jewish communal norms, customs, values, and traditions.
• Able to work flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends
While performing the duties of this job, the Executive Director for Programs is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle and feel objects, keyboard; reach with hands and arms; communicate and move around the building. It may also be necessary for the employee to lift and /or move up to 25 pounds.
The primary work environment is typical of an office environment including sounds from office equipment. Due to travel and special events, the Executive Director, Programs (EDP) will be exposed to outside weather conditions.
Jewish Long Beach/AJCC is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer-Minority/Female/Veteran/Disability
Please click on the link or copy and paste into your browser bar.