Assistant to the Executive Director
ABOUT TEMPLE ISRAEL
Temple Israel of Boston has been an integral part of Boston's Jewish and civic life for over 165 years. We proudly balance our status as the largest Reform congregation in New England with our efforts to foster close, intimate, meaningful, and transformative connections by living Judaism together through discovery, dynamic spirituality, and righteous impact. Our community offers an array of religious, cultural, and social programming aimed at fostering community, interfaith interactions, and inclusion. We are pursuers of justice and compassion, and are intentional about creating space to gather, reflect, and open up paths to this work to all who want to explore their own involvement. Our picturesque and historic Boston location is also home to a Religious School, the FJECC preschool, and Beacon Academy, an independent school.
Temple Israel is seeking an experienced and personable Assistant to the Executive Director to provide high-level administrative support to the Executive Director, and provides assistance to our Communications department. The position is a pivotal role for the success of Temple Israel. It requires dependability, creativity, the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and proactively, and a high level of professionalism. The Assistant to the Executive Director will navigate sensitive and confidential interactions with staff, board members, clergy, and congregants. The successful candidate will possess keen attention to detail; a proven track record of self-direction, follow-through, and dependability on large projects; demonstrated experience with schedule management and organizational systems; and an appreciation for the diverse roles that a synagogue plays in a Jewish community.
This is a superb opportunity for an energetic and proactive professional. Excellent oral and written communications skills are a must, as are stellar customer service and interpersonal skills, strong organizational proficiency, and the ability to work independently. The candidate should be able to relate to the wide spectrum of Temple Israel constituencies. Vibrant applicants with a sense of humor and a desire for longevity in this role are encouraged to apply.
Assistant to Executive Director:
- Extensively manage the Executive Director's schedule including scheduling meetings with Temple Israel staff, members, and vendors
- Prepare materials for Board of Trustees, Leadership, and Committee meetings; setting agendas for all staff, administrative, and interdepartmental meetings; recording and distributing meeting notes and action items
- Provide Project Management for High Holy Days and Special Projects
- Act as gatekeeper to the Executive Director; triage incoming correspondences, screen calls, and act as first responder to inquiries and requests of the office
- Provide secondary support to the receptionist through occasional front-desk and switchboard coverage
- Assist with membership related duties including giving tours, registration assistance and upkeep of membership accounts
- Provide support to various committees
- Identify organizational needs, research and create project plans, and oversee special projects as needed
Communication Department Support (10 hours a week)
- Update and maintain website
- Create and manage digital communication pieces such as weekly e-blast, congregational emails, and lobby screens, social media events, and manage Constant Contact distribution lists
- Oversee compilation, design, and production of printed materials such as weekly Shabbat Sheets and other various print and digital materials
- Oversee and maintain podcasts of sermons and update photo and video galleries
- Copy edit materials, follow and enforce established brand guidelines
EDUCATION, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Bachelor's Degree required or 5+ years of experience in related field
- Ability to interact with confidentiality, integrity, and tact when working with the diverse community
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Meticulous attention to detail, even under tight deadlines
- Ability to take initiative and superb time-management skills a must
- Proven track record of quick and accurate project turn around
- High computer literacy: adept in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and Google Suite (Gmail, Google Calendar, Drive, Forms); familiarity with databases and online marketing (Constant Contact, social media), knowledge of WordPress and Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop and InDesign) is a plus
- Knowledge of Salesforce a plus
- Experience with Board & Committee relations is a plus
- Experience coordinating with vendors to event production and advertising needs
- Familiarity with Jewish lifecycle and an appreciation for the importance of a synagogue in a Jewish community
Typically this position works fully onsite. Temple Israel is currently open for limited onsite work, candidates will be able to work remote through COVID-19 as warranted. Some job responsibilities will require occasional on-sight work. Hours are generally 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, with occasional evening and weekend hours, including major Jewish holidays, and some weekend events.