Make your mark on Jewish life by joining Hillel at Virginia Tech as the IACT Coordinator. You will build authentic relationships and engage with Jewish students on campus, and inspire students to go on Birthright Israel and Onward Israel through Hillel at Virginia Tech. You will work with students prior to their departure, staff the trips in Israel, and engage them upon their return from Israel experiences by developing activities to encourage participants to be involved with Jewish campus life. You have a deep understanding and love of Israel and are excited to meet and get to know Jewish students on Virginia Tech’s campus, and (of course) have a great sense of humor.
You will utilize your engagement skills to promote and recruit for Birthright Israel, Onward Israel, and other immersive experiences, and get students excited to be involved in Jewish life on campus. You will be responsible for promoting a welcoming and lively pluralistic Jewish community. You’ll wake up each day (or at least most) and be genuinely excited and enthusiastic to help students explore, experience, and create vibrant connections to Israel. This is so much more than your average 9-to-5.
What You’ll Do
- Develop relationships with students from different key markets (sororities and fraternities, majors, etc.) to help them register for the upcoming Birthright Israel trip.
- Coordinate campus-wide engagement strategies for Birthright Israel and Onward Israel opportunities, including strategic use of Instagram, Facebook, and other social media platforms
- Map out a plan to strategically recruit 75+ students to come on Birthright Israel who are currently not engaged in Jewish life.
- Plan and facilitate weekly Birthright Israel recruitment intern meetings in tandem with Israel team meetings
- Work with students to execute large-scale campus Israel programs such as IsraelFest and Israel Shabbat.
- Contribute as a full member of the Hillel at Virginia Tech staff team, including advising and overseeing the activities of student groups, mentoring student leaders, and developing and supporting creative initiatives.
What You’ll Bring to the Job
- 0-2 years professional work experience
- Bachelor's degree
- Proven leadership skills
- Sales or recruitment experience, either through a job, campus organization or as a volunteer.
- Ability to collaborate across teams both inside and outside of Hillel.
- Passion for Israel that is contagious.
- Knowledge of Israeli society and culture
- Understanding that students will connect with Israel in a variety of different ways.
- Willingness to admit what you don’t know, and excitement to learn in those areas.
- Creative problem-solving.
- Interest in continuing to develop your own relationship with Judaism and Israel.
What You’ll Receive
- Competitive salary in the nonprofit marketplace.
- A comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, retirement plan, Life, AD&D, and Long Term Disability (LTD) insurances, Flexible Spending accounts, generous vacation/sick time, and parental leave.
- Great professional development, mentoring, and skill-building opportunities
- Travel regionally and abroad, particularly to Israel
About Virginia Tech
Blacksburg, Virginia, home of Virginia Tech is a beautiful community nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains with plenty of places to enjoy natural beauty and hiking. The university has 30,000 undergraduate students with about a 9% Jewish student population. Virginia Tech is continuing development in Blacksburg, Roanoke, and the Innovation Campus in the D.C. region; welcoming new talent, exploring new ideas and taking Virginia Tech to new heights. This is an opportunity for you to impact the diversity of the university and join together strengthening the voices of the Jewish students, alumni, and friends.
About Hillel International
In 1923, Rabbi Benjamin Frankel started Hillel with humble means, a noble mission and a breathtaking vision: to convey Jewish civilization to a new generation. Today, Hillel International continues to enrich the lives of Jewish students and is the largest Jewish campus organization in the world at more than 550 colleges and universities across North America and around the world. As Hillel evolves as an organization, the mission remains steadfast: to create lasting connections with every Jewish student that foster an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning, and Israel and train them to become the next Jewish leaders.
Hillel at Virginia Tech is affiliated with Hillel International. Hillel International enriches the lives of Jewish students so they may enrich the Jewish people and the world, and envisions a world where every student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning, and Israel.
Hillel is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an accepting and inclusive environment for all.