OFFICE MANAGER / BOOKKEEPER
Temple Avodah, a thriving Reform Congregation located in Oceanside NY, seeks to hire an experienced Office Manager/Bookkeeper
The position reports to the President, Treasurer and Office Committee and serves as the organization’s front office support and first contact for members and visitors. Provides administrative support to the professional staff and also serves as the organization’s bookkeeper and assists with general financial duties. Must be flexible and able to manage projects, as well as maintain confidentiality and a high level of service.
Technical skills including Microsoft Office, QuickBooks are required, and a working knowledge of Chaverware, Shalom Cloud or other membership software are preferred. Training will be provided on membership software if required.
Major Responsibilities and Essential Functions
• Provide customer service to Temple members and visitors.
• Provide current and prospective congregants with information related to general operations, policies, and procedures. When applicable, be able to refer inquiries, requests, or issues to professional or lay leadership.
• Maintain the organization’s management and financial database and ensure that all congregant information is up to date and accurate. Work closely with Temple Treasurer to ensure timely issuance of financial statements and reports.
• Coordinates and manage all congregational mailings, statements, including USPS mail and electronic mail.
• Coordinates and manages billing and collection of accounts receivable, including one-on-one management of all congregant accounts
• Coordinate and manage accounts payable
• Input and track all congregant information, accounts receivable, accounts payable, and bi-monthly payroll (using Paychex) in the organization’s management and financial database
• Independently troubleshoot issues with vendors regarding payment or services
• Coordinate with the professional and lay leadership regarding management of special financial circumstances for congregants.
• Make regular deposits to the organization’s financial institution(s)
• Prepare checks for signature and coordinates online bill payment activity
• Work closely with the organization’s Treasurer and Budget and Finance Committee regarding the finances of the organization
• Preferred Education: Bachelor’s degree preferred
• Minimum 5 years of experience performing administrative support functions
• Minimum 5 years of bookkeeping functions
• Advanced proficiency with QuickBooks
• Proficiency with relational database or accounting software
• Advanced level proficiency with Microsoft Office
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• High attention to detail, accuracy, and highly organized
• Ability to work independently with limited direction and oversight
Preferred Work Experience and Qualifications:
• Experience working in a religious or non-profit setting preferred
Physical Requirements of the Position
• Duties are primarily performed in an office environment. This position requires visual and auditory acuity within normal limits and requires the ability to use a computer keyboard for extended periods. Clear verbal and written communication ability are required.
• As a full-time employee, you will be eligible for individual health insurance benefits.
Paid time off and paid sick leave are also covered
Simple IRA with match
• Full-time Regular, Non-Exempt (37.5-40 hours per week)
Salary is commensurate with experience.