The ARK, an iconic human services agency serving the Chicago and surrounding Jewish communities, is seeking an accomplished Director of Community Engagement and Education. This key position oversees three areas of engagement: Family Volunteer Opportunities, Local Jewish Organizations, and Outreach for the purpose of connecting with current and future ARK volunteers. The successful candidate will help educate the Jewish community to better understand the types of adversity Jewish individuals and families can face at any time, and offer volunteer opportunities that can help.
Who you are:
• You have an engaging passion and energy for developing Jewish volunteers and leaders
• You are a valuable networker who builds and fosters relationships with a broad spectrum of humanity at different stages in their lives
• You create and contribute to visions with the ability to activate and implement these ideas
• You have a strong aptitude for detail, organization, and prioritization, able to manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet high-pressure deadlines
• You are an effective communicator in all situations, whether one-on-one or to an audience
• You have a diplomatic and motivational management and supervisory style
Areas of Responsibility, Each of Equal Importance:
• In partnership with ARK professional staff, create and oversee various meaningful and purposeful portals to engage the community
• Develop dynamic and relational engagement strategies appropriate for the greater Chicago Jewish community
• Partner with area synagogues and Jewish organizations to foster community collaboration and connect individuals with opportunities that match their interests
• Continually evaluate volunteer opportunities, considering regional and national trends
• Provide staff leadership, energy, and vision to develop Jewish activities in public spaces
• Cultivate connections with national and local professional groups that are monitoring trends in social services, demographic changes, and creative engagement opportunities
Education & Engagement Team Members:
• Communicate and interact with variety of community members to build relationships and engage individuals in experiencing leadership responsibilities
• Collaborate with professional staff to set goals in your areas of responsibility and translate them into action.
Website and Communications:
• Ensure that all opportunities and volunteer information are posted on The ARK’s website
• Partner with Marketing Director for utilization of social media platforms
This position reports to The ARK’s Chief Sustainability and Innovation Officer, and includes supervision of the Coordinator of Volunteer Services and The ARK’s front desk receptionist.
• Bachelor’s Degree; 3-5 years’ experience in volunteer management or related field
• Energetic, sensitive demeanor; ability to handle several projects simultaneously
• Strong aptitude for organization, detail, and prioritization; ability to meet all high-pressure deadlines
• Highly effective communication skills, with dynamic and engaging public speaking ability
• Engaging personality, able to relate to volunteers of all ages
• Computer fluency (Excel, Microsoft Office, Salesforce, and multiple web-based tools)
• Ability to work collaboratively and individually.
• Ability to identify potential issues and provide practical resolution
• Ability to work some weeknights and Sundays; Thanksgiving; and Purim morning
• Familiarity with Jewish customs, traditions, and Kashrut