Maryland Hillel seeks a Director of Engagement & Israel Experiences who brings contagious energy and passion for Judaism and Israel. An ideal candidate has an innate ability to build relationships and inspire students to make a commitment to Jewish life, paired with a passion for Israel and the vision to lead a robust and diverse Israel agenda on campus.
The Director of Engagement & Israel Experiences will work closely with a multi-dimensional education and programmatic team, serving as the lead professional working to advance Maryland Hillel’s overall engagement strategy and Israel engagement agenda. They will develop and implement a comprehensive engagement strategy, engage directly with large numbers of students and increase student connection to Israel through travel, study and advocacy. The Director of Engagement & Israel Experiences reports to the Associate Executive Director.
What You’ll Do
General Engagement Portfolio
- Develop and implement a comprehensive strategy for Hillel to map campus and engage students.
- Lead staff team in engagement work, helping staff set and surpass individual and collective engagement goals.
- Conduct a large number of 1:1 meetings with students to build relationships and identify and develop student leaders.
- Innovate and experiment with different engagement methodologies designed to reach students who are currently uninvolved as well as micro-communities on campus including Greek life.
- Build upon existing programs as well as initiate and implement new programs to serve unmet student needs.
- Supervise full-time professionals and student interns. Serve as an advisor to student groups.
- Track progress and evaluate impact using Salesforce.
- Serve as lead staff on large-scale programs, including welcome week events, holiday celebrations, etc.
- Participate fully in the shared work of Hillel, community events, staff meetings and trainings, and other duties as assigned.
Israel Engagement Portfolio
- Lead a robust and diverse Israel education and engagement agenda.
- Engage students from a wide range of backgrounds and beliefs in conversations and programming about Israel.
- Advise and support student-led Israel groups, spanning the spectrum of political, cultural and societal aspects of Israel education and advocacy.
- Develop a cadre of influential, pro-active and knowledgeable student Israel leaders.
- Lead students and colleagues in shaping strategy and responding to campus conversations about Israel.
- Liaise with the University community and outside Israel organizations on Israel-related opportunities.
- Support staff effort to increase student travel to Israel and oversee meaningful post-trip follow-up experiences and opportunities.
- Staff immersive Israel experiences, such as Birthright Israel and conventions including AIPAC and JStreet.
What You've Accomplished
- 3-5 years of relevant work experience, including working on a college campus and/or with young adults, Israel engagement/ education work, and experience with diverse Jewish communities.
- Bachelors degree required, masters degree and/or certificate in Israel education and or Jewish education or nonprofit management a plus.
What You'll Bring to the Job
- A strong entrepreneurial spirit and a passion for Judaism and Israel.
- Proven success in engagement, community building, and outreach.
- Ability to connect with anyone and understand next steps to deepen a relationship and leverage it to engage others.
- Expertise in leading complex conversations about Judaism and Israel in a way that is approachable and meets students at various points in their personal Jewish journeys.
- Significant knowledge about Israel and a desire to continue to learn more.
- Ability to supervise, delegate, and lead a diverse team.
- Ability to prioritize and balance multiple projects simultaneously.
- Confidence initiating and running programs, and comfort asking questions.
What You’ll Receive
- Competitive salary in the non-profit marketplace. The salary for this position is $55,000 - $65,000.
- A comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, Group Supplemental Retirement Annuity (GSRA), pension plan, life insurance, Long Term Disability (LTD), Flexible Spending Plan, generous vacation/sick time, and parental leave.
- Great professional development, mentoring, and skill building opportunities.
- Travel regionally and abroad, particularly to Israel.
About Maryland Hillel
Maryland Hillel serves one of the largest and most dynamic Jewish campus communities in the country. Actively seeking to engage Jewish students on their own terms, Maryland Hillel provides students with Jewish opportunities that are meaningful, empowering and engaging. Through a creative mix of leadership training, education, volunteerism, social, spiritual, and cultural opportunities, students are inspired to realize their potential and become the best versions of themselves.
Maryland Hillel, located in College Park, MD in close proximity to Washington, DC, enjoys a national reputation for its Jewish community, both due to its size with some 5,800 Jewish undergrads, and, more critically, due to the vibrancy of Jewish life on campus. Maryland Hillel draws students to the University of Maryland from around the country with large contingents from Maryland, the tristate area, Florida and California. Following many years of growth, Hillel is conducting a capital campaign to construct a custom-built 40,000 square foot Jewish student center to continue to support this thriving Jewish community into the future.
About Hillel International
In 1923, Rabbi Benjamin Frankel started Hillel with humble means, a noble mission and a breathtaking vision: to convey Jewish civilization to a new generation. Today, Hillel International continues to enrich the lives of Jewish students and is the largest Jewish campus organization in the world at more than 550 colleges and universities across North America and around the world. As Hillel evolves as an organization, the mission remains steadfast: to create lasting connections with every Jewish student that foster an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning, and Israel and train them to become the next Jewish leaders.
Maryland Hillel is affiliated with Hillel International. Hillel International enriches the lives of Jewish students so they may enrich the Jewish people and the world, and envisions a world where every student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel.
Hillel is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an accepting and inclusive environment for all.