THE TIDEWATER JEWISH FOUNDATION (TJF)
The Tidewater Jewish Foundation (TJF) is a $125 million regional community foundation (founded in 1984) that supports the Jewish communities of Southeastern Virginia, primarily based in Norfolk and Virginia Beach. TJF supports the development, investment, and management of endowment funds for numerous local agencies and synagogues in the area including 2 Jewish day schools, the United Jewish Federation of Tidewater, Beth Sholom Village, and Jewish Family Service. TJF offers unique opportunities for emerging and existing charitable activities in the areas of donor-advised relationships, community endowments, and the management of affiliated agency endowments. TJF’s culture values working hard, excellence, and bringing your dynamic gifts to elevate the work.
ABOUT THE POSITION
This position requires an experienced development professional, strategic-minded, with proven relationship-building skills. Working collaboratively with the President & CEO, this position manages the teen philanthropy initiative, LIFE & LEGACY* and Jewish Future Pledge Programs to steward the organization's planned giving program, communicating its benefits to affiliated agencies, donors, and prospects coordinating with marketing campaigns. Monitors development goals and progress, in conjunction with the CEO, who serves as the Chief Development Officer, to guide development efforts and related communications to Boards, Affiliates, donors, professional advisors, and prospects.
• Serves as primary staff liaison and coach to all LIFE & LEGACY* partner organizations. Responsibilities include monthly phone meetings and site visits, training sessions, tracking team progress, providing marketing materials, attending and participating in events (as needed), and planning an annual community Legacy event. Additionally, offers guidance on sustainability, solicitations, agency board meeting presentations, and legacy team meetings.
• Coordinates solicitation efforts through a systematic process of prospect identification, qualification, and strategy development in collaboration with the CEO and community affiliates.
• Manages database functionality and integrity which is an integral component to enable coordinating solicitation efforts to include prospect identification, cultivation, ratings, stewardship, and strategy development, and to document progress with regard to closing gifts and achieving organizational goals.
• Works with TJF staff, Board, and other lay leaders to ensure and integrate the development goals of TJF by facilitating development efforts including planning, organizing, and executing affiliate sustainability legacy plans.
• Keep CEO apprised of progress toward goals and provide monthly updates and at quarterly Board meetings as appropriate.
• Facilitates development efforts by planning, organizing, monitoring, and assisting with the execution of Affiliate action plans and coordination with Legacy teams.
• Works with CEO to manage pending items and determine/manage priority, pursuing new strategic growth opportunities and expanding planned giving programs as appropriate.
• In conjunction with CEO, ensures effective stewardship and recognition programs (e.g. Book of Life and Lion of Judah Endowment) are planned and executed.
• Promotes TJF and gift planning concepts to help cultivate new legacy gifts with multiple generations of donors.
• Works with donors, fund representatives, affiliates, and other TJF staff to increase utilization of online donor/fund rep portal and Crescendo materials and website content.
• Establishes or adjusts development goals/campaigns for specific affiliates/programs and documents through CRM database prospect opportunities and activities to attain these goals.
• Works collaboratively with TJF Marketing and Communications Coordinator to effectively organize and coordinate the preparation of promotional literature (print, web, e-newsletters, etc.) in line with LIFE & LEGACY*, Jewish Future Pledge, and other development initiatives, including promotion of TJF Grants, Stein Scholarship, Simon Family Passport to Israel and Rovner Professional Development Programs.
• Works collaboratively with both TJF and UJFT marketing staff to update TJF/UJFT website and to help promote all TJF events and programs including, but not limited to Simon Family Legacy Society, Simon Family Passport to Israel, Training/Workshops, and B’nai Tzedek Teen Philanthropy program and One Happy Camper.
• Collaborates with Donor Relations and Grants Manager in tasks involving communication with affiliates, updating database information, and donor relations/services, including promotion of TJF grants and scholarship processes.
• Ensures that departmental procedures are written and updated on an ongoing basis.
• Works to understand and improve processes and procedures as it relates to administration and communication with donors, affiliates/agencies, staff, and lay leaders.
• Maintains technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing foundation-related publications and establishing personal networks.
• Other duties and projects as required.
• Bachelor's Degree and at least two (2) years experience in one or more of the following areas of development, marketing, financial planning, community relations, foundations, and/or grantmaking. Non-profit experience is not required; however, would be a plus.
• Self-motivated, self-starter and pro-active
• Proven planning and implementation skills
• Ability to accept responsibilities for task/projects while working independently
• Willingness to work evenings for meetings/events as required
• Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills
• Ability to work well with people individually and in groups
• Ability to coach and motivate others to succeed
• Experience in managing a budget (preferred)
• Broad understanding of the Jewish community, history, culture, heritage, and how the various Jewish community agencies and synagogues interact
• Superior attention to detail
• Excellent leadership, analytic, organizational, and communication skills
• Ability to handle multiple tasks with follow-up responsibilities
• Manages time effectively and prioritizes completion of tasks to meet deadlines
• Demonstrated initiative and commitment to achieving and exceeding results
• Presents a professional, positive image that reflects well on the organization
• Willingness to perform other related duties as needed
• Proficient use of MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Adobe Acrobat.
• Salesforce experience a plus, ability to work within and understand the structure of the customized database to include becoming proficient.
Supervisor: President & CEO
Supervisor Responsibility: None
Payroll Type: Exempt, Full-Time
Working Conditions: Office environment
Salary commensurate with the level of experience.