Bnei Akiva of Los Angeles has an opening for a creative, dynamic and experienced Jewish leader with a passion for Jewish camping to be the next Director of Camp Moshava Alevy. This innovative, inspiring educator and camp leader will help us reach the next level of growth and impact.
As the only Modern Orthodox camp on the West Coast, Moshava Alevy serves hundreds of children and young adults through camp at our gorgeous Dovid Oved Retreat Center campus in Running Springs, CA.
Reporting to the Executive Director, this key leadership role is responsible for the successful management of Bnei Akiva of Los Angeles‘s Moshava Alevy program (approximately 300 campers each summer) including programmatic, educational, operational and financial performance, and camper recruitment and retention. Leading a team of over 100 summer staff, the Director collaborates closely with Bnei Akiva of Los Angeles’s professional team including the Dovid Oved Retreat Center Director, the Camp Registrar, and the year-round programming team.
We’re looking for an inspiring leader, collaborative team player, and relationship builder; a proven experiential educator who brings extraordinary creativity, energy, experience developing immersive educational programming for youth and who will ensure Moshava Alevy continues to innovate.
The Director may work remotely - with regular trips to Los Angeles - from mid-August through early June, and is in residence at the Dovid Oved Retreat Center campus during the entire summer season. This role requires regular travel through North America and Israel as a representative of Moshava Alevy.
Reports to: Avi Matanky, Executive Director
Supervises: Program Coordinator/Rosh Mosh, Rashei Eidah and Rashei Anaf (section & specialty heads), and 100+ Summer Camp staff
- Oversees and develops annual camper recruitment and retention program, including travel to communities
- Sets the overall educational vision for all Moshava Alevy programs
- Plans the summer calendar, including development of daily schedule and the organization of trips outside camp
- Develops long-term vision for Moshava Alevy, ensuring Moshava Alevy is at the leading edge of providing exceptional camper experiences
Administration, Operations, and Budget
- Plans and directs the operations of the summer camp program
- Regularly monitors performance of all programs and adjusts as required
- Leads development of detailed annual programming, educational, operational and financial plans
- Ensures timely and appropriate communications with parents
- Implements religious and educational policies
- Coordinates with Rosh Mosh and Rashei Eidah/Anaf to procure supplies
- Oversees transportation to and from camp for campers and staff
- Ensures the health and safety of campers and staff, including the hiring and supervision of camp medical staff
- Participates in the fundraising of Moshava Alevy as required
- Performs other leadership duties as requested by the Executive Director
Staff Recruitment, Training, and Supervision
- Oversees the hiring, training, supervision, and development of year-round camp staff and summer staff
- Develops meaningful year-round and summer training of camp leadership and staff
- Develops meaningful relationships with staff members
- Oversees the evaluation of all camp staff
- Monitors camper, parent, and staff satisfaction and prepares annual plans to continually improve.
- Serves as the “face” of Moshava Alevy
The ideal candidate shall possess the following skills, attributes, training and experience:
- Demonstrated history of successful achievement in experiential Jewish education.
- Experience in Jewish camping.
- Creative thinker and innovator, with a strong history of leading educational/programmatic innovation.
- Strong leadership experience with proven, exceptional people management. A true collaborator and team player.
- A relationship builder with outstanding interpersonal and communication skills, and the ability to convey enthusiasm and energy and inspire young people.
- Committed to the Bnei Akiva approach to informal education. A passion for Israel, Halacha, and the Jewish people.
- Strong organizational and administrative skills.