The University of Michigan Hillel is looking for a Community Engagement Associate , to join our team who will bring enthusiasm for students, passion for campus life, and a commitment to building a pluralistic Jewish community. The Community Engagement Associate is responsible for inspiring, advising, supporting and growing specific Hillel communities, including among Fraternity and Sorority Life and other niche communities on campus. They will encourage student community connectors to explore their own Jewish identity while offering their peers meaningful ways to engage in Jewish life and connect with Jewish community.
What You’ll Do
Programming and Engagement:
- Build relationships with students in fraternities and sororities, students in different colleges (such as the Business School, or the College of Engineering), and students already in specific interest-based communities (such as the student newspaper or professional fraternities), in order to bring Jewish life into their homes, their social networks, and their chosen circles.
- Oversee and support Hillel Connect Fellows in deepening their Jewish experience and implementing meaningful and innovative programming that brings Jewish values and Jewish learning to their social networks and home communities
- Build the vision and design for a new Jewish Greek Council, where Jewish Executive Board members of Greek Life houses all across campus can come together. Invest in the Jewish leadership of these student leaders.
- Serve as a supportive guide and provide strategic guidance for several Hillel groups and their leaders
- Staff Birthright Israel trips and participate in recruitment and follow-through programming
- Involvement in all community-wide programming for our campus including Shabbat and Jewish Holidays, large-scale social programs, and fundraising initiatives
What You’ll Bring to the Job
- A Bachelor’s degree
- A natural ability to network and build relationships with a wide variety of people
- A contagious passion for Jewish life and interest in Greek Life community (experience in Greek Life as a student is preferred)
- Skills to empower student connectors to create meaningful Jewish life experiences for their communities
- Experience using social media tools to attract participants, develop community, and build a stronger brand
- Excellent organizational skills, capable of working independently and have the ability to prioritize to meet multiple deadlines in afast-paced environment
- Be comfortable working with students who are exceptionally empowered, entrepreneurial, bright, and highly motivated
- Excitement to work as part of a large staff team
A Typical Day May Look Like:
- Go to the gym in the morning because you’ll be working an evening program
- Coffee with the new leader of a big community service group on campus to talk about engagement opportunities for the Jewish students in their group
- Lunch with staff to do some Jewish learning about Passover and divide up Passover responsibilities
- Facilitate an engagement training with Hillel Connect Fellows
- Dedicated time to note your interactions in the database and send emails to students inviting them to a focus group on Birthright recruitment
- Monitor how your latest Instagram poll is going
- Facilitate a discussion in a Greek House in the evening where you meet new students interested in applying to the Onward Internship
What You’ll Receive
- Hillel offers a comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, Group Supplemental Retirement Annuity (GSRA), pension plan, life insurance, Long Term Disability (LTD), Flexible Spending Plan, generous vacation/sick time, and parental leave
- Salary Range: $40,000-45,000
- Great professional development, mentoring, and skill building opportunities
- Independent and hands on work in an exciting, start-up environment
- Flexible work hours
About University of Michigan Hillel
With over 6,000 Jewish students on campus (comprising 20% of the student body) and 50 student groups, the University of Michigan Hillel offers diverse, pluralistic and innovative ways to engage in Jewish life on campus. Michigan Hillel is a national leader in nurturing empowered leadership among students who have a profound impact not only on campus life but on the broader Jewish community as well. Most important, our student leaders feel a strong sense of ownership, empowerment, and accomplishment.
Ann Arbor is a small city (110,000 people) blessed with many big city comforts. The city prides itself on its wonderful restaurants, natural and recreational spaces, and a football stadium that holds more fans on a game day than the entire population of Ann Arbor. The Jewish community has one of everything (Jewish Federation, Jewish Day School, Jewish Community Center, and Secular Humanistic, Renewal, Reconstructionist, Reform, Conservative, Orthodox, Chabad and local home-based services). Ann Arbor is the kind of town where people greet each other in the street and where you can have an impact on building community, while the university’s size and diversity makes you feel like you are always meeting new people and learning something new.
About Hillel International
In 1923, Rabbi Benjamin Frankel started Hillel with humble means, a noble mission and a breathtaking vision: to convey Jewish civilization to a new generation. Today, Hillel International continues to enrich the lives of Jewish students and is the largest Jewish campus organization in the world at more than 550 colleges and universities across North America and around the world. As Hillel evolves as an organization, the mission remains steadfast: to create lasting connections with every Jewish student that foster an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning, and Israel and train them to become the next Jewish leaders.
University of Michigan Hillel is affiliated with Hillel International. Hillel International enriches the lives of Jewish students so they may enrich the Jewish people and the world, and envisions a world where every student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel.
Hillel is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an accepting and inclusive environment for all.