Temple Sinai’s Religious School strives to help our students experience a joyful, meaningful, inclusive Judaism rooted in the principles of the Reform Movement. We combine hands-on tactile learning, classroom conversation, tikkun olam and creative projects with a Jewish values-centered curriculum. Our school has a solid Hebrew program, beginning with Hebrew through Movement, and then using in-person and on-line resources to teach reading and meaning. Our students are well-prepared for their b’nei mitzvah, both in terms of Hebrew and meaning, and many return to help with the Religious School after they have graduated.
This is a one-year part time position with the possibility of future employment. The Interim Religious School Director will work with the Rabbi, VP of Education and the Education Committee to maintain Temple Sinai’s Religious School Program in person and, if necessary, through a web-based program for the 2021-22 school year. We anticipate that the school will maintain the high standard for education that has been set by the retiring director while also recognizing that given the realities of COVID19, a level of innovation is likely to be needed.
• Oversee all aspects of assigned grade-level curriculum, including planning lessons, gathering supplies, and communicating with teachers
• Maintain a teaching staff that can and will provide a high level of Jewish education at Temple Sinai.
• Manage staff (along with Rabbi, VP education and Religious School Chair) and any issues that arise with respect to their performance
• Recruit staff as necessary
• Ensure staff follow guidelines surrounding communications with families
• Ensure twice a year check-in is held with teachers/students/families
• Create a loving and joyful and safe environment as children return to in-person education.
• Work with the Rabbi and the Education Committee and the VP of Education to implement existing curriculum while adapting as necessary considering the unusual pandemic environment, including the fact that the children have not been together in a year.
• Maintain enrollment and curriculum records and pass them on at the end of this interim year.
• Plans school Jewish holiday celebrations.
• Connect and Maintain relationships with families and work with them to solve problems. Check in with them regularly.
• Make regular evaluations of teaching staff, curriculum, and family relationships.
• Teaches within the school as needed.
• Monitors materials and expenses. Oversees payroll for teachers.
• Manages communications with the committee, Temple Sinai Board and President, Rabbi and Temple Administrator.
• Attends Board Meetings and provides updates
• Oversees the Bar and Bat Mitzvah program for families and students.
• Plans events to gather the students and families
• Maintains and updates program brochure to provide to families
• Master’s in education preferred
• Experience with Hebrew school/Jewish knowledge
• Familiar and comfortable with Reform Judaism
• Experience with virtual learning
• Comfortable with technology, including ZOOM, Google Classroom, and other platforms