Monday-Thursday, 8:30am-4:30pm; Friday 8:30am-3:00pm
Occasional nights and weekends
Reports to Senior Rabbi and Executive Director, and is supervised by the Executive Director
Temple Emanuel of Andover (www.templeemanuel.net) seeks an experienced and personable Executive Assistant to the Clergy & Executive Director, to provide high-level support in meeting the needs of this dynamic and thriving community and ensuring relational engagement with those who support it. The role of this professional is to provide support to the Clergy (65%) and Executive Director (35%) focusing primarily on facilitating a healthy and responsive connection between the Senior Rabbi and the community, in addition to providing necessary support to the Executive Director, specifically with administration and engagement, to meet the current and future needs of our 450 family congregation.
The EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT will work closely with the Senior Rabbi, clergy & Executive Director in many aspects of synagogue life. The position requires dependability and the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and proactively, all with a degree of professionalism and an ability to effectively work in team settings, with our staff and congregants and respond to a dynamic work environment.
The successful candidate will possess keen attention to detail; follow-through, and dependability; demonstrated experience with schedule management, database, and organizational systems; and an appreciation for the diverse roles that a synagogue plays in a Jewish community.
RESPONSIBILITIES TO SUPPORT CLERGY (65%)
PROGRAM & ADMINISTRATIVE
Support the clergy in meeting the community’s needs, including responding to urgent or emergent issues that immediately “rise to the top” including, but not limited to: scheduling pastoral visits and calls; support in maintaining the Senior clergy’s calendar, scheduling appointments, and effectively facilitating correspondences by phone and email, with attention to detail, sensitivity, confidentiality, and alacrity. Support the implementation of projects, initiatives, lay leader interactions, and follow-up efforts, attentive to the need to balance urgency and importance of congregational matters. When appropriate, attend certain meetings with the clergy to enhance follow-up efforts.
HOLIDAYS & LIFE CYCLES
Provide administrative assistance for lifecycle events (e.g., B’nai Mitzvah, Funerals, Weddings, Conversions, Baby Namings, etc.) and follow-up, as necessary. Participate fully on staff-wide efforts relating to all holidays.
RESPONSIBILITIES TO SUPPORT EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR (35%)
Provide administrative and organizational support for the Executive Director by managing and coordinating the systems and processes necessary to support operations. Tasks include, but are not limited to, answering phones and responding as appropriate; coordinating and disseminating development and donor correspondence; maintaining accurate recording keeping of our database and sending notices (yahrzeit, birthday, anniversary, condolence, etc.); and processing new member information. May be assigned other tasks and duties reasonably related to job responsibilities.
Qualifications and Skills
• Must possess exemplary written and verbal skills
• Ability to maintain confidence of sensitive information
• Ability to multi-task & prioritize in a fast-paced environment
• Calendar Management
• Ability to interact positively with members of the staff, synagogue community, and others
• Agility with basic and intermediate computer and online skills, including Microsoft Office, Google Suite, and other platforms
• Database management
• Tenacious attention to detail, even under tight deadlines
• Ability to analyze and resolve problems/situations demonstrating sound judgment and common sense, with the humility of knowing when to ask questions
• Professional, diplomatic, and discreet with confidential matters
• Willingness to learn about synagogue life, Judaism, Jewish holiday cycle and Hebrew
Desired but not necessary:
• Knowledge of synagogue life, Judaism, Jewish holiday cycle and Hebrew
• Bachelor's degree
• 5 years equivalent work experience preferred