Berman Hebrew Academy, a Modern Orthodox co-educational school in Rockville, MD, seeks an Upper School Dean of Students for the 2021-22 academic year. Berman Hebrew Academy is rooted in an educational vision of academic excellence, religious commitment, and character development. It provides opportunities for each student to achieve the maximum of his or her potential, engaged with, and contributing to both the Jewish community and the society at large.
About the Position:
The Dean of Students at the Berman Upper School is responsible for developing a vision for the student experience and culture and for fostering an atmosphere conducive to learning.
The Dean of Students works closely and collaboratively with other administrators and the entire Upper School faculty to envision and implement a student-centered approach towards student support in a way that strengthens the school culture and community.
The Dean of Students promotes proactive communication between advisors, counselors, administrators, teachers, parents, and students. The Dean of Students serves as a point-person around student support, discipline, and social-emotional and academic advisement.
The Dean of Students is a full time position, reports to the Principal of the Upper School, and is a member of the Senior Leadership Team of Berman Hebrew Academy.
• Collaborate with Student Activities Team to develop experiential learning opportunities that strengthen and promote the mission, values, and priorities of the school, and that build strong, positive relationships amongst students and between students and faculty
• Supervise and collaborate with Student Activities Team to create and implement extra-curricular programming around major calendar events and Jewish holidays
• Work with students to envision and facilitate clubs, speakers, and other extracurricular opportunities
• Help to support student council and other student leaders
• Collaborate to provide academic support and student counseling to all Upper School students
• Work collaboratively with Educational Support Services coordinator, guidance counselors, and other administrators to ensure proactive management of student issues
• Together with the guidance counselor, oversee the implementation of student educational programs in areas of mental health and social-emotional well-being
• Develop and oversee the implementation of an advisory program in partnership with the guidance counselors and faculty, including curriculum development for advisory meetings and professional development for advisors
• Coordinate student orientations and graduation
• Be a strong presence in tefillah, student programming and activities, and other Upper School events
• Together with the Upper School Principal, set and implement the cultural philosophy of Berman Hebrew Academy to promote high standards and expectations for academic performance, student leadership, personal integrity, and community responsibility
• Develop and manage academic and social policies, protocols, and practices that serve to support student development, learning, health, and safety
• Work with faculty and department chairs on other student issues and concerns
• Be a champion of teacher training in developing a culture of kindness and positive discipline
• Enforce minor and major disciplinary infractions, together with principal
• Follow up on disciplinary issues, which includes timely communications with teachers, parents, and principal as needed
• Together with the leadership team, revise student/parent/faculty handbooks yearly
You are an ideal candidate for this position if you have:
• Demonstrated success in designing engaging experiential education programs
• Strong background in pedagogy, teaching and learning
• Passionate about collaboratively designing systems and structures for student-centered support and programming
• An “all-in” mentality
• An advanced degree in Education, or equivalent
Salary and Benefits:
• Salary commensurate with experience
• Benefits include: Medical, Dental and Vision insurance, Retirement plan, Tuition benefit