Jewish Life Coordinator
Closes: Apr 30, 2021 - 11:59 PM EDT
Job Type: Full Time
Location: Wooster, OH
About The College of Wooster:
Wooster offers an excellent, comprehensive liberal arts education, culminating in a rigorous senior project, in which each student works one-on-one with a faculty mentor to conceive, organize and complete a significant research project on a topic of the student's own choosing. Through this distinctive program, every Wooster student develops abilities valued by employers and graduate schools alike: independent judgment, analytical ability, creativity, project-management and time-management skills, and strong written and oral communication skills. Founded in 1866, the college enrolls approximately 2,000 students.
The College offers a comprehensive benefits program that includes: Health, Dental, Retirement, and Tuition Remission.
The College of Wooster has a long tradition and commitment to cultivating and enhancing a religiously and theologically diverse campus community. Religious & Spiritual Life (RSL), as one of the four branches in the Center for Diversity & Inclusion (CDI) under the supervision of the Chief Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer (CDEIO), is a key area in supporting the exploration, formation, and flourishing of students at the College of Wooster.
The Jewish Life Program Coordinator works under the supervision of Chaplain/Religious and Spiritual Life Director to support a range of student needs, with a particular emphasis on building a vibrant Jewish community through creating meaningful and purposeful experiences with Jewish and non-Jewish students. The Jewish Life Program Coordinator will partner with students as they explore different aspects of Jewish faith and culture, discovering the places where Judaism intersects with their many other identities. The person in this position will also assist the Chaplain and Director in promoting interfaith programming, dialogue, and understanding, among the broader campus community, as well as meeting with and advising students of diverse spiritual and cultural backgrounds. This is a full-time 10-month position with benefits.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Oversee Jewish life on campus, working with student leaders in Hillel on sponsored campus events, Shabbat, and high holiday programming.
• Mentor and provide a variety of support to Jewish and non-Jewish students, helping them cultivate a richer understanding of spiritual practice, identity, and leadership.
• Assist the Chaplain in promoting interfaith understanding, designing interfaith programming and/or trainings, and supporting multi-faith dialogue across campus.
• Create and maintain positive relationships with Knesseth Israel Temple (KIT) in Wooster, as well as other nearby Jewish organizations, Jewish faculty and staff, community members, and college alumni.
• Create new programs for Religious & Spiritual Life, work collaboratively with other members of the CDI, and support the ongoing initiatives of Religious & Spiritual Life.
• Support the broader work and goals of the CDI/CDEIO, and serve as an active member on relevant committees focused on diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts.
• Support campus activities, as assigned, addressed to the student body with the goals of increasing their religious/ethical awareness and commitments to diversity, equity, and inclusion, inviting their personal involvement and commitment.
• Support student service initiatives across campus and in collaboration with the Division of Student Affairs (and others).
• Practice radical welcome and hospitality, fostering a campus environment that is positive and equitable for all students.
Education and/or Experience:
• Bachelor's degree required, master's degree preferred (Preference given to applicants with degrees in Jewish studies, Theology, Religious education, or comparable field).
• Experience supporting Jewish students in faith formation and collaborating with others in programming in a multi-faith collegiate setting.
• Willingness to work some evenings and weekends, as events and programs are scheduled.
The College of Wooster does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex/gender, gender identity, gender expression, medical condition, political affiliation, religion, creed, ethnicity, national origin (including ancestry), citizenship status, disability, age, marital status, family responsibilities, sexual orientation, veteran or military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, domestic violence victim status, or any other characteristic protected by institutional policy, or by state, local, or federal law. All offers of employment are subject to verification of the legal right to work in the United States as required by federal law. The College of Wooster is committed by policy and practice to diversity, equity and inclusion. For more information on our nondiscrimination policy visit: http://xxxxxxxxxxxxx
For highest consideration please submit a resume, cover letter, and a list of 3 professional references which includes name, telephone number and email address.
To apply, visit http://xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.