Inspire the Jewish future by joining the Santa Barbara Hillel team as our Development Associate. You’ll power Hillel by supporting efforts to connect people, organize information, and raise vital funds that are essential to achieving our mission. You will help ensure that Santa Barbara Hillel is a robust, vibrant, and positive Jewish presence on campus and in the community.
The Development Associate works closely with the Executive Director to manage Santa Barbara Hillel’s annual campaign, help steward supporters, market to current and potential stakeholders, and support board development. The Development Associate leads the administrative and technological aspects of fundraising and donor database management, and builds relationships between Santa Barbara Hillel and alumni, parents of students, and community members. With year-round fantastic weather, you’ll be happy to smile in the sunshine with our students and our team every step of the way.
What You’ll Do
- Assist in overseeing the development and execution of the annual fundraising plan
- Provide administrative support for the Executive Director to execute fundraising strategies
- Plan and organize annual fundraising events and initiatives including Hillel Hall of Fame, Parents’ Club, Alumni Events, Family Weekend, and other initiatives
- Administer direct mail solicitation including creation of strategy, preparation of mailing/emails, organization of mailing lists, and appropriate follow-up
- Staff the Board of Trustees development committee and work with the Executive Director to create board development strategy
- Build an alumni committee to cultivate a culture of giving
- Provide exceptional communications to funders, parents and supporters of Santa Barbara Hillel through newsletters, social media, and other methods
- Supervise and mentor student Development Interns
- Lead the management of Little Green Light donor management system
- Process donations, generate reports, and ensure the system is consistently accurate
- Assist with grant research, applications, and reports
- Work with the Executive Director to coach staff on best practices
On a day to day basis you will
- Engages in outreach to parents and alumni, including meetings and support of the Santa Barbara Hillel alumni and parent groups
- Manages Little Green Light through data entry, gift processing, record creation, and reporting
- Prepares grant proposals and reports for individual donors, foundations, and other funders
- Manages all mail and internet?based solicitations, including the preparation and production of marketing materials
- Supports the Executive Director in managing organizational processes, including budget tracking, communications, marketing, and development strategy and execution
- Schedules and prepares written materials for critical meetings including those with the Board of Trustees, major donors, and local foundations
- Mentors Hillel staff and student leaders on sponsorship opportunities and fundraising initiatives, including recruiting, training and mobilizing students to partner in Hillel’s development efforts
- Builds and supports development partnerships with Hillel’s International Center, foundations, UCSB, and others
- Develops and promotes a culture of philanthropy throughout Santa Barbara Hillel, based on a culture of creativity, teamwork, accountability and continuous improvement
- Assists the Executive Director on major gifts cultivation, solicitation and stewardship
What You’ve Accomplished
- 1 - 3 of years of experience in a development/fundraising-related field
- Bachelor’s degree
- Proven success in donor research, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship
- Experience in planning and leading events
- Demonstrated written and oral communication skills; ability to communicate appropriately in person and through email, formal letters, reports, and social media
- Experience using Little Green Light, Salesforce, or other database applications with a close eye to detail
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Publisher
What You’ll Bring to the Job
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills
- Capacity to multi-task and be self-motivated in a fast-paced environment
- Highly detail oriented, capable of working independently and as part of a team, and have the ability to prioritize multiple assignments
- Familiar with/open to learning about Jewish holidays and traditions
What You’ll Receive
- Competitive salary in the non-profit marketplace. The salary range for this role is $40,000 - $50,000.
- A comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, Group Supplemental Retirement Annuity (GSRA), pension plan, life insurance, Long Term Disability (LTD), Flexible Spending Plan, generous vacation/sick time, and parental leave
- Great professional development, mentoring, and skill building opportunities
- A breathtaking view of the mountains from your office, three-minute walk to the beach, a tight knit staff team and support system, an always plentiful snack cabinet, and perfect weather year-round
About Santa Barbara Hillel
Located on the beach in one of the most beautiful places on earth, Santa Barbara Hillel is an integral part of the broader Santa Barbara community. With one of the strongest Birthright Israel programs in the nation, Santa Barbara Hillel is a vibrant hub of Jewish student life. Noted for its relaxed, fun atmosphere and strong academics, UC Santa Barbara is ranked as a “top 5 public university” in the country. UCSB has a thriving Jewish life, with the highest percentage of Jewish students and the most Jewish undergrads in the entire UC system.
About Hillel International
In 1923, Rabbi Benjamin Frankel started Hillel with humble means, a noble mission and a breathtaking vision: to convey Jewish civilization to a new generation. Today, Hillel International continues to enrich the lives of Jewish students and is the largest Jewish campus organization in the world at more than 550 colleges and universities across North America and around the world. As Hillel evolves as an organization, the mission remains steadfast: to create lasting connections with every Jewish student that foster an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning, and Israel and train them to become the next Jewish leaders.
Santa Barbara Hillel is affiliated with Hillel International. Hillel International enriches the lives of Jewish students so they may enrich the Jewish people and the world, and envisions a world where every student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel.
Hillel is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an accepting and inclusive environment for all.
In your application please include your resume, three references including contact information, and cover letter.