POSITION SUMMARY: Shalom Bayit is seeking a dynamic Jewish educator or outreach professional to be a driver of change in Jewish communal response to abuse. The Outreach & Prevention Specialist promotes our innovative domestic violence education programs and educates the Jewish community on gender-based violence. Responsibilities include public speaking, building strategic relationships, coordinating educational campaigns on domestic violence and sexual harassment, working closely with clergy and congregations, and direct training/education. This position is also responsible for coordinating our sexual harassment prevention/education initiative.
• Design & implement outreach strategies to advance Shalom Bayit’s strategic goals
• Support clergy & congregational relationship-building
• Develop & maintain external relationships with Jewish agencies, community groups, and potential supporters
• Coordinate sexual harassment prevention initiative including organizational engagement, gaining leadership buy-in, policy development, and leading respectful Jewish workplace trainings
• Represent the organization publicly and respond to requests for speakers and training
• Provide training & education on gender-based violence within a Jewish framework
Work in collaboration with colleagues to support interdisciplinary projects, racial equity and other transformative justice initiatives, weekly team meetings, major agency functions and public events, and promote overall agency success. Maintain accurate records and program statistics. Perform other duties necessary to the function of agency programs
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
The ideal candidate is familiar with Bay Area Jewish community and able to work effectively with clergy, Jewish professionals, synagogues, community groups and volunteers; possesses excellent communication & public speaking skills; is able to work both independently and in cooperative, dynamic, small team environment; and is passionate about ending violence against women. Specific skills and experience we are looking for include:
1. Experience in Jewish communal organizing (Jewish education background preferred);
2. Knowledge, understanding and/or experience with domestic violence and/or sexual harassment; ability to articulate abuse prevention messages in a Jewish values framework;
3. Excellent training and public speaking skills;
4. Excellent community organizing skills and ability to work effectively with Jewish communal leaders, professionals and volunteers;
5. 40 hour domestic violence training (can be provided after hire), in accordance with California state law
6. Ability to create and manage organizational systems;
7. Ability to work with diverse populations, including a wide range of cultural and religious beliefs, class backgrounds, sexual and gender orientations, ages, and abilities;
8. Ability to work both independently and collaboratively;
9. Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
10. Commitment to the philosophy, mission and vision of the organization
11. Desire to work in a small social change organization dedicated to empowering women
12. Familiarity with Bay Area Jewish community a plus
Women and people of marginalized genders, those of traditionally underrepresented Jewish backgrounds, and survivors of domestic violence, are especially encouraged to apply. Shalom Bayit (a project of the Tides Center) does not discriminate on the basis of socioeconomic, ethnic, or religious background; sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, or language. We represent a variety of Jewish backgrounds and denominations.
San Francisco Bay Area. Post pandemic, the position will require both work from our East Bay hub and some regular Bay Area travel for trainings and organizational presence throughout our service area.