Met Council is America’s largest Jewish charity dedicated to serving the needy. Met Council’s ten different departments are staffed by experts who helped over 305,000 clients in 2020 and continuously advocate on behalf of all needy New Yorkers. Our holistic programs range from 100% affordable housing at 20 locations to our award-winning family violence program to comprehensive Holocaust survivor assistance to senior programming to crisis intervention to the largest free kosher food distribution program in the world. Our network of 101 food pantries, 20 affordable housing sites, and 15 JCCs provide services directly in neighborhoods across New York.
Met Council is at the forefront of addressing food insecurity by providing free emergency kosher food throughout New York City. To respond to the increased need created by COVID-19, we have opened a pop-up warehouse and fulfillment center in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. We are seeking a hands-on program coordinator to assist in the day to day operations of this space, including the welcoming of volunteer groups, packaging of food packages, receiving of deliveries and trouble-shooting operations. This person will need to be comfortable doing what it takes to keep the operation moving, which may include lifting, walking long distances, and motivating groups, all while staying focused on the big picture of getting more food out to more people.
• Provide on-site, day to day support to the activities taking place at Greenpoint warehouse/fulfillment center;
• Work with various staff and volunteer groups to advance the operations;
• Trouble shoot and problem solve issues as they arise related to volunteer groups, food packaging, and deliveries and shipments;
• Other responsibilities as needed.
• Can-do, hands on approach to getting the work done
• Superior customer service skills
• Solid problem-solving skills
• Excellent communication skills
• Strong knowledge of Windows 10 and all Microsoft Office programs
• Ability to work independently and manage multiple complex tasks simultaneously
• Significant organization skills, with an ability to stay focused on assigned tasks in a fast-paced environment
Skills and Education:
• Associates degree (required); Bachelor’s degree (preferred)
• 2 years’ relevant experience
• Fluent in English (required); additional languages helpful
• Knowledge of Kashrut laws (preferred)
1. Required Constantly: Working in a warehouse environment, walking, sitting, grasping, bending, stooping, squatting, computer input, finger dexterity and coordination of hand, eye and foot
2. Required Frequently: Standing and climbing stairs; carrying laptop & files (approx. 10-25 lbs)
3. Required Occasionally: Reaching above the shoulder, and lifting 5-25 pounds, pushing and pulling