Shir Chadash Conservative Congregation seeks a creative Jewish educator with a vision for communitywide educational engagement in a spirited Conservative synagogue. The ideal candidate will have a passion for preparing new generations for rich engagement with Judaism and Jewish life.
Shir Chadash is a warm, inclusive, egalitarian synagogue community in greater New Orleans that honors tradition while embracing modernity and where all are welcome to join in praying, learning, and celebrating together. The only Conservative synagogue in the New Orleans area, Shir Chadash has approximately 200 member units and about 50 children and teens enrolled in educational programming.
Shir Chadash maintains a robust, active adult education program.
Job responsibilities include:
• Directing/managing the synagogue’s religious school, including coordinating Sunday Shul School for all students, coordinating 1-on-1 Hebrew tutoring for students in 2nd grade and above, managing and overseeing Shul School staff
• Navigating/implementing a safe return to in-person learning and programming for youth and families, as pandemic policy and best practices permit
• With Rabbi, coordinating B’nei Mitzvah training and family learning for B’nei Mitzvah cohorts
• Coordinating/delivering teen programming
• Coordinating/delivering youth programming for Shabbat and holidays
• Working with Rabbi to coordinate/deliver adult educational programming
• Communicating with parents, synagogue board, and other stakeholders about Shir Chadash’s educational programming
• Working with other office staff to market synagogue’s educational programming to synagogue and wider community
• Acting as ambassador for Shir Chadash to the greater New Orleans Jewish community, including outreach and educational engagement to non-member families
* Experience leading Jewish educational programming
* Working proficiency in Hebrew in a liturgical context
* Knowledge of Conservative Judaism
* Experience with hiring, supervision and management of teachers and / or other professional staff
* Computer literacy, including social media, Microsoft Office, and other relevant software and platforms
* Experience leading youth programming in a Jewish setting (for example: youth group, Jewish summer camp, etc.) is a plus
* Ability and passion for incorporating music into programming is a plus
* Knowledge of nusach and trope and ability to lead services are a plus