Department: Constituent and Community Services
Reports to: Friendly Visiting Social Work Supervisor
Status: Full-time, exempt
About DOROT: DOROT, which means “generations” in Hebrew, brings together a dynamic partnership of seniors, volunteers, and professionals dedicated to enhancing the lives of older adults. DOROT’s mission is to alleviate social isolation among the elderly and to help them live independently and with dignity as valued members of the community. Our wide array of programs – conducted on-site, in the home and in the community – are designed to help seniors remain engaged, connected, and knowledgeable about the resources they need. Since DOROT’s inception in 1976 we have been a leader in creating innovative programs for older people. Compassionate care and a commitment to excellence are hallmarks of our programs and staff.
DOROT’s clients, who range in age from 60 to over 100 with an average age of 83, vary in physical mobility and economic status, and come from diverse backgrounds. We bring generations together in mutually beneficial partnerships, engaging more than 6,000 volunteers of all ages each year. DOROT offers programs in our catchment area (West Side 59th to 125th Streets, East 14th to 96th Streets and Westchester County) and also serves seniors throughout New York and more broadly through our teleconference and online programming.
For further information about DOROT, please visit: www.dorotusa.org.
About Friendly Visiting: Friendly Visiting has been a core program at DOROT since our inception. DOROT social workers skillfully match volunteers with older adults based on shared interests for weekly or monthly visits, which result in long-lasting and mutually beneficial connections. An assigned social worker remains a touch point and source of support for both the older adult and volunteer in the Friendly Visiting match throughout the relationship, offering guidance and ensuring the safety and well-being of the senior as they age.
Position Description Summary: Friendly Visiting Social Workers play an integral role at DOROT, conducting psychosocial assessments of older adults who wish to participate in our in-home programs; interviewing, matching and supporting volunteers and seniors for the Friendly Visiting program; and providing case assistance to older adults to meet current and emerging needs. This Friendly Visiting Social Worker will also enable a large, vibrant synagogue community to further enhance its relationship with its older congregants by serving as a consultant and thought partner on issues of aging and social work.
• Be a vital, proactive and collaborative member of the Assessment and Friendly Visiting team, working with colleagues on volunteer and senior recruitment, screening, orientation/training, and matching for Friendly Visiting pairs.
• Serve as the expert on aging issues for a large, active synagogue community, developing and implementing programming, leading groups, and consulting on relevant issues with clergy, staff, community members and caregivers.
• Contribute to shaping new, innovative programming for DOROT’s Friendly Visiting and synagogue initiatives.
• Support a caseload of approximately 60 constituents, some in the context of an active synagogue community.
• Perform in-depth psychosocial assessments and reassessments of older adults.
• Provide meaningful case assistance support and information and referral to older adults, their caregivers, volunteers, and other constituents, advocating on their behalf when appropriate
• Represent DOROT at community outreach meetings and conferences, and network with local agencies/organizations.?
• Collaborate with peers and other departments to enhance the agency’s overall goals and impact:?
o With Community Outreach, Volunteer Services and Marketing and Communications for ongoing promotion and recruitment of older adults and volunteers for the Friendly Visiting Program;?
o With Volunteer Services and Intergenerational Engagement to identify older adults for certain program opportunities; and
o With Marketing and Communications to support media opportunities.
• Collect, track and maintain case assessment data and related client interactions using DOROT’s online database (Salesforce), which includes data entry and review of monthly statistics for internal needs and reports to funders.
• Supervise student interns and office volunteers, as needed.
• Provide support to, and participate in, DOROT’s agency-wide intergenerational volunteer programs, such as holiday and seasonal Package Deliveries.
• Special projects as assigned.
• Stay up to date on relevant issues that relate to aging in the community.
• LMSW required
• 3-6 years of professional social work experience
• Affinity for working with older adults
• Strong interpersonal, clinical, group facilitation and presentation skills
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Strong organizational skills, with an ability to work independently and collaboratively?
• Passion and sensitivity for DOROT’s mission
• Well-versed in aging issues and related community resources
• Experience working with volunteers a plus
• Availability to work approximately four?Sundays a year for Package Deliveries as well as a few other evening and/Sunday activities as needed
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite