Salary Range: Commensurate with experience
Executive Director, Temple Beth El
Temple Beth El (TBE) is a conservative, egalitarian synagogue located in the Museum District of Richmond, Virginia. Our synagogue is a community of approximately 380 families, some of whom have been in Richmond for generations, along with many newcomers attracted to this vibrant city known for its culture, history, and culinary scene.
TBE’s mission is to lead people into growing relationships with Jewish community, wisdom, and practice that help them thrive intellectually, emotionally, and spiritually and that inspire them to build a more compassionate, just, and peaceful world. We are going through exciting changes including a pending refurbishment of our beautiful facility to make it a more accessible, secure, and modern center of our community.
Reporting to the TBE President, the Executive Director will have overall responsibility for the functioning of the congregation and must be well versed in financial management, operations, and program planning with excellent organizational skills. We are looking for a detail-oriented planner and a creative, energetic, execution-oriented leader who is interested in becoming an integral part of our community, embedding into the organization, and building strong relationships with our diverse membership through open, direct, and respectful communications.
The Executive Director’s responsibilities include:
1. Facilities Management: In coordination with lay leadership, maintain facilities and grounds of two campuses along with residential and commercial rental properties to include leadership role in managing a $4MM renovation planned to commence in November 2021
2. Membership Services: In conjunction with the Vice President of Membership, develop and implement comprehensive membership recruitment and retention programs.
3. Financial Management: In conjunction with Vice President of Finance, responsible for annual budgeting, including development, analysis, and execution oversight.
4. Staff Management: Supervise TBE staff (excluding Clergy and Education Director) to include goal setting and performance management. Facilitate effective communication and collaboration among the entire TBE team including professional staff and lay leadership.
5. Program Support: Assist in development, planning, and implementation of policies, goals, programs, and activities of TBE. Serve as a key partner and advisor to professional and lay leadership. Seek continuous improvement in all aspects of TBE operational support.
College degree and a minimum of 5 years management experience, preferably in a nonprofit, synagogue, or equivalent professional environment
Demonstrated success in Project Management
Detail-oriented planning and execution skills
Strong leadership ability, with experience managing staff and volunteers / flexible labor pools
Ability to proactively identify key issues and develop innovative and appropriate solutions
Excellent interpersonal communications ability; demonstrated success connecting with diverse populations
Demonstrated financial acumen including budget development and oversight; previous profit/loss responsibility a plus
Able to work flexible hours to include some evenings, weekends, and Jewish holidays to attend synagogue events and meetings
Experience working for or volunteering with a synagogue or other Jewish organization
Knowledge of Jewish ritual, holiday, and life-cycle traditions
Experience developing/implementing fundraising programs and/or securing sponsorships and grants
Experience in facilities management