USY empowers exceptional Jewish teens to create exceptional Jewish experiences. For about 70 years, USY has taught young Jews the values and skills they need to become exceptional leaders in their religious and secular communities. USY empowers youth to develop friendships, leadership skills, a sense of belonging to the Jewish People, and a commitment to inspired Jewish living through meaningful and fun experiences rooted in Conservative Judaism’s approach to learning, spiritual expression, and social responsibility. Through year round programming and domestic and international travel opportunities, USY inspires in teens a deep sense of pride in and love for their Jewish identity. To learn more, visit www.usy.org.
Nativ is the Conservative Movement’s College Leadership Program in Israel and has provided an unparalleled Gap Year experience in Israel for forty years, with over 2000 alumni worldwide. Nativ is dedicated to creating and inspiring the Conservative Jewish leaders of tomorrow. Nativ, which means “path” in Hebrew, provides a unique opportunity to explore new directions on the journey to becoming a Jewish adult. By focusing on Jewish living, leadership development, and Israel exploration, Nativ infuses living in Israel with Jewish life and spirit.
The program recruiter for USY and Nativ will be responsible for traveling across North America to recruit potential participants for USY Summer Programs and Nativ, establish local relationships with key stakeholders who help influence which programs teenagers and young adults choose, and follow-up and collaborate with other recruitment staff in New York City and Jerusalem to ensure that there is proper stewardship.
This position will include a significant travel budget to ensure that the recruiter can maximize his/her/their footprint in communities around North America to hold recruitment visits, parlor meetings, camp fairs, day school visits, etc.
This position will report to the Senior Director of USY, with significant interface with the director and associate director of USY Summer Programs, and the director and admissions director for Nativ.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The recruiter position includes four major areas of responsibility:
1. “Sales”: The most important task of the program recruiter is to sell USY Summer Programs and Nativ. While this person will not be the only person in the department responsible for recruitment (all staff have that in their job description), this person will have the greatest opportunity to sell what makes our program great and what is our point of difference from the competition to the greatest number of people.
2. Recruitment Travel: Throughout the year, the recruiter will be responsible for visiting communities to have direct contact with potential participants and decision influencers (e.g. parents, guidance counselors, rabbis, etc.). Visits can include, but are not limited to: Visits to USY regional events, congregational schools, day schools, and camps, parlor meetings for prospective families, camp fairs, and one-on-one meetings with key prospects and stakeholders.
3. Recruitment Tracking: Using the relationships developed during recruitment travel, connect those prospects and parents with appropriate USY and Nativ staff to ensure a smooth transition from inquiry to application, acceptance, and participation.
4. Customer Feedback: Keep accurate data on positive feedback and constructive feedback gleaned from recruitment visits to help program staff adapt product offerings.
The hope is that the success of this position in the coming year will enable USY and Nativ to invest in more programmatic dollars to hire other program recruiters in future years.
The Teen Engagement Department allows team members the opportunity to develop passion projects that they believe will provide enhanced value for member congregations, and looks forward to helping this person find other opportunities to use their unique talents and skills.
None, although we are exploring options to incentivize teen travel by using participants as recruitment interns in lieu of additional scholarship funds.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science required.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- 3 years or more relevant experience
- Strong preference for candidates who have participated in Nativ and at least one USY Summer Program, although other candidates will be considered
- Passion for selling USY and Nativ, extroverted personality, and entrepreneurial spirit
Additional Eligibility Qualifications:
- Significant knowledge of teenagers, teen engagement, and experiential Jewish education.
- Experience in immersive Jewish education, whether as a camp counselor, youth group advisor, Birthright staff member, Hillel engagement position, etc.
- Familiarity and comfort with the principles of Conservative Judaism
- Knowledge of CRM systems and customer service platforms
Work Environment: Flexible. This person can have their home base in almost any location, with recognition that he/she/they will be traveling on a regular basis.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Full-time position
- Evenings and weekends required.
Travel: Significant travel required, subject to recruitment calendar developed by senior leadership.