Kosher Chef (5231U), Cal Dining 20238
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our http://xxxxxxxxxxxxx our http://xxxxxxxxxxxxx and http://xxxxxxxxxxxxx://strategicplan.berkeley.edu
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: July 13, 2021
At Cal Dining, we believe that “breaking bread together” is a unique aspect of dining on-campus with friends, faculty or staff. Our focus is on nourishing the Cal community, both for physical and social well-being, through customer-driven programs, culinary excellence and campus social responsibility.
• Ensures quality and creativity in Kosher menu planning and presentation.
• Monitors quality assurance systems in cooperation with dining management.
• Prepares assigned menu items following department recipes in accordance with departmental policies and procedures.
• Responsible for securing the Kosher kitchen and the storage of product as well as equipment used for production.
• Audits recipes utilized for production to ensure ingredients and procedures meet specific standards and requirements.
• Work with computerized food system to be sure data is accurate and menus are up to date.
• Audits dining facilities to ensure safety, sanitation, handling and storage of food and food equipment use and compliance with Jewish doctrine.
• Implements quality and Kosher assurance stands in dining facilities. Works closely with departmental chefs and culinary team to develop standard operating procedures to ensure that written resource manuals are available to all personnel as needed.
• Conducts training in food production, presentation, portion control, proportion, sanitation, safety and service. Ensures staff understand kosher standards and certification requirements. Interacts and coordinates with chefs, rabbis and campus partners as needed for training and quality standards.
• Assist Chef Managers with computerized menu management system as well as recipe and menu development. Complete all necessary documents related to purchasing, production and inventory control as needed.
• Develops, institutes, maintains and provides exceptional customer service standards.
• IIPP Statement: Works in a safe and responsible manner while not putting self or others at risk. This includes complying with applicable policies and regulations; using personal safety gear; observing warning signs; learning about potential hazards; and reporting unsafe conditions.
• Thorough knowledge of Kosher food and related service standards, production & cycle menu planning.
• Thorough verbal and written communication in the English language, active listening, dynamic flexibility, critical thinking, and ability to multi-task and ensure effective time management.
• Thorough decision making and reasoning skills, and ability to develop original ideas to solve problems including operations analysis and quality control analysis.
• Thorough and effective interpersonal and work leadership skills to provide guidance to all levels of personnel.
• Intermediate computer applications skills.
• Knowledgeable about Kosher food law.
• Prior experience in culinary food service operations.
• Formal training as a professional Chef.
• Bachelor's degree and/or equivalent experience/training.
Salary & Benefits
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. The annual salary range of the position is $46,100.00 - $66,200.00 commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit http://xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.