Mission and Philosophy
The Shalom Hartman Institute is a leading center of Jewish thought and education, serving Israel and North America. Our mission is to strengthen Jewish peoplehood, identity, and pluralism and ensure that Judaism is a compelling force for good in the 21st century.
Shalom Hartman Institute of North America (SHI NA) has an exciting opportunity for a motivated, organized, thoughtful, and detail-oriented individual to work with our West Coast and national program team to ensure programmatic excellence. Based in our Bay Area office, and supporting SHI NA’s work in the Bay Area, Los Angeles, and Seattle, this position requires someone who is exceptionally strong on taking initiative and follow-through, who is reliable, and a quick learner. The ideal candidate for this position will also have an understanding of and commitment to SHI’s mission, excellent communication skills, and the ability to prioritize and complete multiple tasks efficiently and excellently.
Responsibilities and Duties
• Supporting program logistics for virtual programs and eventually in-person conferences, salons, and other events – including tracking attendance, preparing program materials, and setting up/cleaning up for events;
• Supporting the development of programmatic content through preparing materials for programs;
• Forming excellent partnerships with external vendors;
• Coordinating travel and itineraries for visiting faculty;
• Supporting with contracts and scheduling;
• Maintaining an accurate record of program and participant data;
• Providing general administrative support.
• 1-5 years of professional experience
• Passion for SHI NA’s mission
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Exceptionally organized and detail-oriented; able to manage multiple complex tasks
• Proven ability to thrive in a dynamic, high-energy environment and under tight deadlines
• Basic proficiency with Hebrew and Jewish texts
• Excellent interpersonal skills including a professional, customer-service oriented demeanor
• Track record of demonstrating sound judgment by making appropriate decisions and knowing when to take initiative in identifying problems and devising solutions
• Proficient in Microsoft Office applications
• Good sense of humor
• Ability to staff weekly evening programs and occasional weekend programs around the West Coast
• BA / BS or equivalent
Salary and Benefits: Salary range $50,000 - $65,000, commensurate with experience. Competitive benefits package.