Honeymoon Israel (HMI) provides immersive trips to Israel for locally based cohorts of couples that have at least one Jewish partner and are early in their committed relationship, creating communities of couples who are building families with meaningful connections to Jewish life and the Jewish people. To date, HMI has run more than 100 trips from 20 cities across North America– bringing more than 2,000 couples to Israel. To read more about Honeymoon Israel and its mission and vision, please visit www.honeymoonisrael.org.
Honeymoon Israel is seeking a full-time professional for the role of Assistant Director of CommunityEngagement, Chicago to play a critical role for HMI as it grows its operations and impact. Chicago is poised to become HMI’s first community that has four trips per year. With a unique remote culture, whose employees sit everywhere from Atlanta to San Francisco to Tel Aviv, this role is a critical position in a fast-moving, high-energy organization. This position is based in Chicago, IL.
Assistant Directors of Community Engagement are locally-focused HMI staff and are based in cities where HMI operates across North America. The Assistant Director of Community Engagement will report to the Director of Community Engagement in their particular community. Local HMI staff are connectors, facilitators, conveners and supporters in providing couples with a platform that helps them determine ways in which they want to incorporate Judaism into their lives. While the HMI experience for many couples begins with a group trip to Israel, the trip only serves as a catalyst and much of the work to support participants in this journey happens when couples return home.
- You are committed to reimagining Jewish life, understanding that connection to Judaism can take many forms, and are excited about the impact that transformational experiences can have on one’s identity and future
- You have an understanding of and appreciation forHMI’s target audience of young couples representing diverse Jewish backgrounds and affiliations
- You have a passion for and/or background in community organizing, community building, and creating unique and meaningful experiences for diverse groups of people
- You are flexible, nimble and adaptable as it relates to your work
- You have knowledge of Jewish culture, heritage, and practice, and are adept at including people from all different backgrounds and life experiences
- You are energetic and a relationship-builder at your core
- You have strong verbal and written communication skills
- You are a skilled project manager with attention to detail who can manage and juggle multiple projects
- You have a grasp of your community’s resources, including but not limited to the Jewish organizational landscape
- Support Chicago couples through the entire HMI applicant and participant experience from the moment they choose to apply to the following months/years after they return home from Israel
- Work closely with the Chicago Director of Community Engagement on recruitment, outreach and marketing for Honeymoon Israel application/interview cycles in the Chicago area
- Maintain partnerships and relationships with local community resources, institutions and funding organizations that will provide wrap around resources and programming to HMI couples throughout their HMI experience
- Serve as a local trip leader, in partnership with a local Jewish educator/rabbi and Israel-based tour educator, on select HMI trips departing from the Chicago community
- Communicate effectively and continually with and to past HMI participants, specifically as it relates to ongoing support for their Jewish and family journeys, opportunities for involvement and community building
- Support the application interview process in other HMI communities throughout the year
Skills and Experience
- 3-4 years of relevant professional experience
- Highly organized, detailed oriented and efficient with time management
- Passionate about pushing and redefining the boundaries of Jewish life in Chicago and beyond
- Ability to and/or experience with working in a virtual, remote work environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Technologically savvy and a quick learner
- Ability to think creatively, innovatively and strategically
- Independent, self-starter
- Experience leading Israel trips/programs, preferred
- Experience with group facilitation and program planning/management, preferred
- Knowledge of Jewish ritual and culture, preferred
- Bachelor’s degree required
- This position will report directly to the HMI Chicago Director of Community Engagement
- Candidates must reside in the Chicago area
- International travel to Israel required at least once per year
- Domestic travel required approximately 15% of time
- Must be available to work some weeknight evenings and weekends
- Benefits include individual medical, dental, vision, paid parental leave, disability and life insurance coverage, as well as participation in the 403(b) retirement plan with an employer matching program. Flexible office hours and work environment. HMI has an unlimited vacation policy and perks to support mental and physical health.
The starting salary range for this position is $53,000-$58,000 per year. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Honeymoon Israel is an equal opportunity employer committed to advancing diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice. We strive for our team to reflect the diverse community we serve. We encourage candidates of all cultural, racial, religious, gender, and sexual identities to apply.