We are looking for: A storyteller who can raise awareness and engage diverse audiences digitally and in print through words, video, and design. Someone who can write long-form articles as easily as they can craft a social media post. They’re a collaborator who will work closely with our other Communications Manager, the Director of Member Engagement, and WHC staff, clergy, and lay leaders. They will lead the creation of our monthly print magazine, help drive our communications strategy, assist in maintaining and enhancing the content on our website, and help us expand our reach.
Who we are: Progressive, inclusive, caring, and compassionate, Washington Hebrew Congregation, at its heart, is a community. Located in Washington, DC with a second campus in Potomac, Maryland, our 2,000+ households are drawn to our incredible programming and social opportunities, engaging services, passion for social justice, and deeply involved clergy.
Our ideal candidate:
• Is a strong writer
• Is a wiz at InDesign, knows their way around Photoshop, and is comfortable using Illustrator or Canva; experience with video editing software is a plus
• Is proficient in Microsoft Office 365
• Knows their way around the backend of WordPress and various social media platforms
• Wants to grow and learn
• Is well-organized and attentive to detail
• Is a collaborator and team player who also works well independently
• Can manage multiple projects and meet deadlines
• Is a problem solver
• Appreciates the mission of our synagogue and has a service-oriented attitude
• Has a strong understanding of the Jewish religion, customs, and holidays
• Has a bachelor’s degree and 5 years of relevant experience
How you may spend your time:
• Laying out our monthly magazine, the WHC Journal
• Writing and/or editing articles, eblasts, web content, blogs, and social media posts
• Working with colleagues and constituents on special projects, to brainstorm, identify opportunities, and problem solve
• Updating our web calendar and creating registration forms
• Designing graphics, flyers, and brochures
• Working on social media strategy and posting on our various channels
• Maintaining our digital photo archive
• Working with outside printers
• Pitching stories to local media
What we offer:
A competitive salary, commensurate with experience, and a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, and vision insurance; life and long-term disability insurance; deductible reimbursement, flexible spending, and dependent care reimbursement accounts; 403(b) plan retirement savings with an annual contribution from Washington Hebrew; paid vacation and sick leave; and more!
Focusing on the health and safety of the entire community, we require all employees to be fully vaccinated for covid-19 unless there is a religious or medical exemption. This position is based at our synagogue in Washington, DC. We are currently working in a hybrid model, with 3 days in the office and 2 days remote.