Congregation Beth Israel (“CBI”) in Scottsdale, Arizona is a 600-family Reform congregation which was established in 1920. In addition to our congregation’s campus in Scottsdale, which includes the Chanen Preschool, Haberkorn Religious school, and Stein Family Mikvah, CBI also owns and operates the Beth Israel Memorial Cemetery in downtown Phoenix and Camp Daisy & Harry Stein in Prescott, Arizona.
We are seeking an enthusiastic and experienced Director of Camp Operations (“DCO”) to lead all operational functions required to successfully operate and cultivate a residential summer camp. Working closely with the CBI Leadership Team (“CLT”), the Director of Camp Experience (“DCE”), and the Assistant Camp Director (“ACD”), the DCO will help ensure the mission and vision of Camp Daisy and Harry Stein (“Camp Stein”) is carried out with emphasis on camper and staff health and safety, execution excellence, and responsible fiscal management.
? Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills
? Strong organizational/management and collaboration skills
? A strong sense of self and a high level of emotional maturity
? Agility with multi-tasking, managing multiple projects, and attention to detail
? A reliable individual who can work independently but also as part of a team, committed to customer service
? Comfort working in a camp and synagogue community comprised of many members
Hours: Full Time
• Year-Round in Scottsdale, required to go to Camp at least once per month
o Monday through Friday 8:30 AM-5:00 PM
o Weekends as needed for special events and projects in Scottsdale or at Camp Stein
o On-site at Camp Stein for ten (10) weeks mid-May through July.
• This position will report to the Chief Communal and Executive Officer (“CCEO”)
• This position will have year-round supervisory responsibility for the ACD and the on-site Facilities and Operations Staff
Year-round responsibilities include:
• Oversee maintenance program to ensure facilities are in good working order. Manage on-site facilities and operations team to ensure priorities are set and projects completed on-time and within budget.
• Oversee capital improvement projects including planning, budgeting, staffing, and implementation.
• Own and drive profitable growth of off-season rental and retreat business including marketing, scheduling, contracts, and interactions with rental groups.
• Working closely with DCE and ACD to ensure procurement of supplies for all aspects of camp. Develop and execute required contracts and agreements prior to camp season including but not limited to security, transportation, food service, laundry, etc. Manage vendor relationships and performance.
• Own accreditation processes of American Camping Association and all relevant agencies. Update and maintain standard operating procedures.
• Working with CCEO, prepare annual camp operating budget. Evaluate monthly reports and prepare financial projections.
• Participate in multi-level development (fundraising) efforts and own donor stewardship processes. Participate as core team member in JCamp 180 Camp Legacy Program.
Summer responsibilities include:
• Oversee camp office and summer office staff (including IT requirements)
• Oversee maintenance needs and prioritization of work
• Oversee operations of Heath Center including personnel, prescriptions, and supplies
• Supervise summer operations including security, logistics, transportation, food service, laundry, postal, off-camp needs, etc.
• Minimum BA from and accredited college or university
• 5+ years’ previous supervisory and project management experience working in a camping environment (overnight camping strongly preferred)
• Demonstrated proficiency with financial management practices including budgeting and cost management
• Experience managing facility improvement projects and larger capital projects, solid understanding of project management principles
• Working knowledge of procurement practices including contract review and execution
• Experience leading teams and working in matrix environment
• Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office, Campminder and ability to learn other technology as required