The opportunity: This role, reporting to the Director of the MCCSR, will build out volunteer and civic engagement programming as we navigate the hybrid nature of in-person and virtual gatherings for the foreseeable future. With the pandemic shifting the landscape of what engagement looks like, this position will have the unique opportunity to evaluate, restructure, and build new and bring back existing volunteer programming offered by the MCCSR with a dual focus on the individual volunteer experience and the equity of our work. This role will include execution of our four large-scale days of service from start to finish, building and maintaining relationships with partner organizations across the DMV, engaging volunteers, and creating community beyond the one-off programs we offer participants.
Who you are:
• You believe deeply in the power of civic engagement as a path to changing individuals and communities for the better.
• You understand that volunteer engagement is about customer service, and that providing an excellent participant experience involves paying high attention to detail, so you put the utmost care and thought into all program and event logistics you oversee.
• You are highly professional: you understand and respect boundaries and the sanctity of client and volunteer confidentiality at all times.
• You are a relationship-builder extraordinaire: you love meeting new people, hearing their stories, remembering important details about them, listening deeply, and striving to understand the complexities of their realities from a culturally-competent perspective whether they are clients, volunteers, partner agency staff, Board members, or colleagues.
• You are a go person: you aren’t afraid of ambiguity and don’t wait for someone to tell you what to do at every step. You know how to dive in and get started and to seek clarification when it is needed.
• You have an awesome attitude: you see the good in people rather than looking for faults, you love what you do, you’re motivated to come to work and engage with your colleagues and constituents, you’re eager to grow as a human and a professional, you take feedback with grace, and you take pride in the work that you accomplish.
Volunteer Management and Communication
• Develop, deepen, and maintain relationships with repeat and core volunteers, providing individual connection and engagement opportunities on a regular basis
• Provide innovative and strategic ideas to building community within our volunteer base
• Create qualitative and quantitative opportunities for feedback and evaluation of all programs
• Track and diversify department metrics including volunteer attendance, hours donated, and clients served
• Assist in widely broadening awareness of our programming within the DC community through e-marketing, social media, and representing the department at community events, volunteer fairs, etc. as needed
• Manage the department’s Facebook page
• A cornerstone of this position is to plan and execute the EDCJCC’s four major Days of Service: MLK Day, December 25th Day of Service, Everything but the Turkey and Good Deeds Day; these programs attract hundreds of volunteers and involve several months of planning and coordination
• Grow, coordinate, and lead one-off customized volunteer opportunities for groups, including schools, youth groups, and corporations
• Coordinate and run 3-5 volunteer opportunities a month, including ongoing programs such as our quarterly blood drives and programming for families with young children
• Working in partnership with the Director, seek out new, engaging, meaningful, and creative volunteer opportunities to offer the EDCJCC community
• Develop, deepen, and maintain relationships with current social service agency partners as well as new partners
• Bachelor’s degree with 5-7 years work experience in event management, program management, or volunteer engagement; experience in service learning a plus
• Demonstrated ability to plan and execute complex, multi-dimensional projects and events
• Valid driver’s license and comfort driving company pick-up truck on a regular basis
• Ability to work evenings, weekends, and some holidays (comp time offered)
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Excellent problem-solving skills
• Well-organized and extremely detail-oriented
• Demonstrated ability to take initiative, be proactive, and work independently
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office programs, social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter), and Google applications
• Skills and experience in working with diverse groups of people
This position requires the ability to lift up to 30 lbs. We are currently functioning in a hybrid model of work-from-home and in-person programming on site. When CDC guidelines allow, this position will oversee fully in-person programming.