Engagement Director, USY/Kadima
United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism
United Synagogue Youth (USY) is the premiere Jewish teen engagement program for the Conservative movement. Through our important work USY empowers Jewish youth to develop friendships, leadership skills, a sense of belonging to the Jewish People, a deep engagement with and love for Israel, and a commitment to inspire Jewish living through meaningful and fun experiences based on the ideology of Conservative Judaism.
The Engagement Director is a key position for USY’s new engagement initiative. The Engagement Director serves as an engagement leader designing and implementing key initiatives of teen engagement and leadership that enhance USY’s mission and core values. Working closely with teens, the Engagement Director is responsible for creating engagement initiatives and programs for teens. The Engagement Director will build relationships and partnerships to strengthen USY and Kadima engagement.
Position Reports to
USY Branch Director
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
The duties of this position include, but are not limited, to the following:
- Plan and implement an inclusive approach to USY and Kadima engagement through new engagement initiatives.
- Develop and implement new peer to peer engagement initiatives.
- Create branch engagement plan to increase membership numbers and participation.
- Build relationships and partnership opportunities with local professionals, Conservative congregations and other Jewish organizations.
- Foster and manage relationships with local and national youth professionals and lay leadership.
- Empower, mentor and support USY and Kadima chapter staff and teen leadership.
- Encourage and support the creation of new USY and Kadima chapters.
- Execute new Kadima engagement initiatives and programming.
- Enhance the transition bridge from Kadima to USY to maximize teen engagement.
- Promote and recruit for all USY and Kadima programs, including regional programs, international programs, International Convention (IC), USY’s summer programs (USY on Wheels & Pilgrimage) and USY’s gap year program (Nativ).
- Plan and implement regional Kadima convention and other Kadima programs with the support of the Engagement Associates.
- Participate in communal and national opportunities that engage Jewish teens.
- Create new initiatives to engage teens in new arenas, including public school settings, Jewish schools, and Jewish camps.
- Attend regional program branch/international programs, as assigned.
Ideal Candidate Key Qualities for Success in this Position:
- Experience working with teens
- Relationship Building
- Facilitation skills
- Strong leadership and organization skills
- Coaching skills
- Planning and implementation
- Conflict management
- Strong oral and written communications skills
- Budget planning and tracking
- Knowledge of the Jewish tradition; demonstrated commitment to Conservative Jewish living and/or interest in learning
- Knowledge of mental health, safety and well-being for teens
- Minimum – degree from four year college or university
- Commitment to personal growth and ongoing education
Preferred Education and Experience
- At least 4 years’ experience working in related fields
- Degree in relevant field(s) including: Jewish Studies, Education, Social Work
- Experience in planning large-scale events
- Supervisory experience
- Advanced training in a field that will enhance director’s ability to be of greater
service to youth and youth programs
This position may operate in an office located within proximity to assigned regions. Location may be on-site at a Conservative synagogue, a nearby USCJ office, or at a home office.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full time hourly position, which will require some extended hours due to evening and weekend conventions and meetings. Schedules may be adjusted to accommodate evening and weekend programing. Position will be mainly in the field - in local communities and throughout the branch.
The position supports a geographic area comprised of two or more USY regions. Must be able to travel on regular basis to events (1-2 times per month) and visit communities throughout the branch on a regular basis. Position includes evening and weekend responsibilities. Travel to the International Convention and occasional travel to USCJ staff meetings.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
Must have authorization to work in the U.S.
Valid passport and driver’s license
Work Authorization/Security Clearance
United States or Canadian Work Eligibility
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change from time to time.