The Student Life Associate is responsible for assisting with a broad range of Hillel activities, including collaborating with students and staff to shape and implement program logistics, goals, and content. The Student Life Associate works in direct coordination with our student groups and student leaders, in addition to supporting the development of social and holiday programming, including Shabbat. The Student Life Associate is also responsible for the day-to-day program administration of the Hillel building. This includes, but is not limited to, supervising student staff, and coordinating catering and meals.
The Student Life Associate works with talented colleagues to further Hillel’s mission to inspire every Jewish student at Northwestern to make a meaningful and enduring commitment to Jewish life through innovative activities, programs, and opportunities. The Student Life Associate reports to the Assistant Director to establish specific goals and evaluate progress on an ongoing basis.
What You’ll Do
- Serve as an advisor and mentor to Hillel student groups and affinity groups such as First Year Students of Hillel.
- Manage all of Hillel’s social media, including Instagram and Facebook.
- Send out weekly newsletters to students to advertise events and elicit feedback from the community.
- Collaborate with staff and student leaders to ensure the execution of small to large-scale events (such as our annual Celebrity Speaker event) and Shabbat and holiday celebrations, including managing logistics and contributing to program development.
- Support the creation of student-initiated programs, including logistics and planning, marketing and communications, budgeting, and evaluation.
- Manage and coordinate logistics for High Holidays and Passover.
- Participate in community-building initiatives and maintain relationships with students across different grad years, serving as a mentor to them during their college experience.
- Coordinate the hiring and supervision of student staff (“Directors of First Impressions”), including maintaining the quarterly schedule, serving as the liaison to the Work-Study office, and coordinating projects and tasks.
What You’ll Bring to the Job
- 1-3 years of professional work experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- A passion for working with emerging adults and investing in their growth as Jewish leaders.
- Strong entrepreneurial spirit. Things may not always go according to plan and you must be willing to take risks and learn your wins as well as your losses.
- Confidence in initiating and running programs.
- Ability to collaborate across teams both inside and outside of Hillel.
- Understanding of radical hospitality and ability to model the concept that every student has a home at Hillel.
- Willingness to admit what you don’t know, and excitement to learn in those areas.
- Enthusiasm about developing your own relationship to Judaism.
What You’ll Receive
- Competitive salary in the nonprofit marketplace, $38,000-$45,000
Time off: Up to 22 days paid time off, up to 10 sick days, 8 paid federal holidays and up to 13 paid Jewish holidays, and 6 weeks paid parental leave.
- Health Benefits: Medical, dental, and vision insurance.
- Prepare for your future: 401(k) plan and a 403(b) plan.
- Additional Benefits: Additional health and wellness benefits, financial benefits, professional training, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
- Great professional development, mentoring, and skill-building opportunities as part of the global Hillel movement.
- An unlimited supply of purple Hillel swag
About Northwestern Hillel
Northwestern Hillel is the foundation for Jewish life at Northwestern University, one of the most vibrant Jewish campus communities in North America. Northwestern Hillel offers a wide array of opportunities for Jewish students of all backgrounds and interests to connect with Jewish life and their own Jewish story and journey. The professional staff works to support students in creating meaningful Jewish experiences for themselves and their peers in the Northwestern community and beyond.
Located in the heart of the Northwestern campus in Evanston, Illinois, Northwestern Hillel is situated along the shore of Lake Michigan just 20 minutes north of downtown Chicago. Northwestern is a world-class university, currently ranked #9 by US News and World Report, and is renowned for its schools of journalism, theater, business, and law; its Big Ten athletics; and its bright, talented, and diverse student population. Northwestern is home to approximately 1200 Jewish undergraduates, plus over 1000 Jewish graduate students on its Evanston and downtown Chicago campuses.
About The Hillels of Illinois and Jewish United Fund/Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Chicago
The Hillels of Illinois is a department of the Jewish United Fund/Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Chicago and is affiliated with Hillel International. Hillel International enriches the lives of Jewish students so they may enrich the Jewish people and the world, and envisions a world where every student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel. The Jewish United Fund of Metropolitan Chicago is the one organization that impacts every aspect of local and global Jewish life, providing human services for Jews and others in need, creating Jewish experiences and strengthening Jewish community connections.
About Hillel International
In 1923, Rabbi Benjamin Frankel started Hillel with humble means, a noble mission and a breathtaking vision: to convey Jewish civilization to a new generation. Today, Hillel International continues to enrich the lives of Jewish students and is the largest Jewish campus organization in the world at more than 550 colleges and universities across North America and around the world. As Hillel evolves as an organization, the mission remains steadfast: to create lasting connections with every Jewish student that foster an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning, and Israel and train them to become the next Jewish leaders.
Northwestern Hillel is affiliated with Hillel International. Hillel International enriches the lives of Jewish students so they may enrich the Jewish people and the world, and envisions a world where every student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel.
Hillel is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an accepting and inclusive environment for all.