The Charles E. Smith Jewish Day School seeks qualified candidates to fill the position of Security and Transportation Manager. The position is responsible for all aspects of security and safety in the school including developing and implementing policies and procedures, training staff and students, and supervising security team members. The position also manages the School’s transportation program, parking, and carpool safety.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Security and Safety
• Oversee all aspects of security and safety at both campuses.
• Develop emergency preparedness and crisis management plans. Ensure adequate level of training and ongoing compliance with requirements for preparedness.
• Schedule, conduct and evaluate all emergency drills on both campuses in cooperation with Principals.
• Establish, lead, and ensure preparedness of emergency response teams on both campuses.
• Maintain all security equipment including emergency kits, megaphones, flashlights, traffic cones and traffic barriers.
• In cooperation with technology department, ensure proper functioning of security monitoring equipment: alarms, motion detectors, intrusion detection systems and surveillance cameras.
• Maintain relationship with the CESJDS Security Task Force and attend meetings, as required.
• Maintain relationship with outside security company and supervise onsite personnel.
• Manage the on-site Montgomery County Police presence, oversee scheduling, and onboard new officers.
• Maintain active and close relationship with Montgomery County Public School security personnel to ensure consistency with best school practices.
• Establish and maintain liaison with all local, county, state, and federal law enforcement, and Homeland Security officials.
• Establish and maintain liaison with all other officials that make up the “Jewish Campus” including; JCC, Ring House, Jewish Federation, Hebrew Home, B’nai Israel, and many other local synagogues and Jewish organizations.
• Identify opportunities and sources of security grant money for the school, prepare grant proposals, and administer grants.
• In cooperation with Director of Operations, design and implement procedures for parking, carpool and for security related duties of facilities personnel. Participate in daily carpool.
• Plan and implement Special Operations Plans for all school related special events (i.e., overnight field trips, graduation, Siyyum, Prom, Grandparents’ Day, Back-to-School Nights, New Parents’ events, basketball games, other sporting events) when requested.
• Conduct all advance information investigations with regards to current threat levels for all field trip locations.
• Ensure compliance with all regulatory requirements (including DOT, OSHA).
• As needed, investigate and document all suspected criminal violations, suspicious incidents, security procedure violations and some policy violations.
• Other duties as assigned by the Director of Operations.
• Ensure the smooth operation of the transportation system, including all communications between families and the school.
• Establish routes and schedules for efficient and timely service to families. Coordinate with the Admission team regarding enrollment and recruitment areas of focus.
• Maintain relationships with transportation service providers for route and field trip bussing.
• Train Activity Bus Drivers and monitor driving records and eligibility to provide DOT-regulated services.
• Coordinate with educational administrative team with respect to dismissal management.
• Maintain and update software applications related to transportation, including Traversa, BusWhere, transportation-related fields in PowerSchool, etc.
• Ensure compliance with all local, state and federal regulations; maintain inspection records and current licensing; oversee maintenance of the School’s fleet (two activity buses and one utility van).
Education/Training and Experience:
• College degree preferred with a minimum of five years of relevant security experience in a school or commercial setting, or equivalent experience in a law enforcement or military environment.
• Excellent analytical and diagnostic skills with a proactive approach to problem solving required.
• Ability to effectively respond to complex inquiries and/or complaints.
• Proficient in MS Office.
• Valid Driver’s License and clean driving record.
• Commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Justice (DEIJ)
• Staff may be asked to perform their work responsibilities on campus and/or at home. In both settings, the staff are required to maintain a professional environment.
• While on campus, classes may be operating either in person or in an alternative setting. Faculty are expected to be present and accessible for the entire school day (contracted hours), regardless of the setting.
• In accordance with the School's duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards, the School has adopted a mandatory Vaccination Policy to safeguard the health of our employees and their families and the community at large from infectious diseases such as COVID-19 and the flu, which may be reduced by annual vaccinations. This policy complies with all applicable laws and is based on guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and local health authorities, as applicable.
The Charles E. Smith Jewish Day School is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate all applicants without unlawful consideration of race, color, age, religion, gender, marital status, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. The School encourages candidates from diverse backgrounds to apply.