About the Position
By joining IU Hillel as the Communications and Social Media Director, you’ll be a key staff member who directs all digital marketing and communications initiatives. This person will work under the supervision of the Associate Director, while also working closely with all programming/engagement staff, development staff & our creative director to establish marketing and communications strategies for all student programs and development initiatives. This position will work to enhance and maintain our branding as an organization. The Communications and Social Media Director will a) work with a team of marketing student interns, b) play a major role in marketing Campus Superstar (our annual big fundraiser event of the year), and c) work closely with our IU Dance Marathon (IUDM) student team.
Professional strengths include being able to meet numerous deadlines and manage multiple projects. Attention to detail and an ability to work independently and collaboratively are essential.
What you'll do
General Staff Responsibilities
- Maintain program attendance records for measurement and ongoing evaluation purposes.
- Participate as a member of the IU Hillel staff team in major programs, Shabbats, and holidays.
- Represent the IU Hillel Foundation on campus with students, parents, alumni, faculty and administration as appropriate, as well as with the wider community.
- It is expected for this role to be on the staff rotation for Shabbats and holidays.
- Management of all communications & social media platforms including
* weekly student newsletter via Constant Contact email
* FB pages/groups
- Manage our Constant Contact subscriber list.
- Work with the Associate Director to oversee the programming calendar is up to date and promoted on all communications platforms.
- Manage all student programming RSVP platforms, including but not limited to our Linktree account, Calendly, and Zoom.
- Work closely with the programming staff to achieve comprehensive, cohesive and accurate messaging to align with our branding.
- Design marketing campaigns and materials for ongoing and major Hillel programs.
- Compile and organize photos and videos taken during programs to be included in all communications.
- Review social media analytics based on content and engagement data to implement informed marketing strategies.
- Ideate, film, and edit promotional videos
- Support the Associate Director’s student program initiatives as needed.
Development Communications/Marketing Responsibilities
- Work in partnership with the Development Manager to prepare and execute all communications connected to our fundraising appeals and initiatives
- Work in partnership with Executive Director, Associate Director, and Development Manager to oversee management of appeal timelines and tasks to ensure successful implementation of all solicitation efforts.
- Assist with stewardship functions to ensure that donors receive ongoing communication regarding the value of their support.
- Assist the Development Manager in managing our donor database
- Support the Development Manager’s development initiatives as needed.
Program Leadership and Support
- Strengthen and support student leadership teams and student groups, including but not limited to:
- Student Intern Marketing Team - work with a team of at least 10 marketing interns who will assist in the marketing of all major Hillel events.
- Campus Superstar - assist Associate Director and Development Manager in all communications efforts for Campus Superstar, our big annual spring fundraiser event.
- Indiana University Dance Marathon (IUDM) - oversee the Hillel IUDM team to ensure successful recruitment of and participation in IUDM.
What you'll bring to the job
- Candidates must have a Bachelor’s degree and 0-2 years of post college work experience
- The Communications and Social Media director must be capable of working independently and as part of a team, and have the ability to prioritize and handle multiple assignments.
- Experience managing social media platforms/accounts for organizations.
- Exceptional verbal and communication skills, with special emphasis on writing ability and interpersonal skills.
- Creativity, flexibility, passion, a sense of humor, and leadership development skills are essential to success in this position.
- Outstanding organizational skills; should enjoy developing systems, organizing documents, creating and implementing systematic workflows.
- Exemplary time management skills, including the capacity to juggle competing priorities and deadlines, and to remain flexible within an ambiguous, fast-paced environment.
- Ability to follow complex instructions and quickly learn new procedures and systems.
- Inclination to take initiative.
- Pride in the accuracy and presentation of your work.
- Participate in weekly professional supervision with the Associate Director, weekly staff meetings, and programming staff meetings.
- Work directly with the Executive Director, Associate Director, and Development Manager to ensure all communications and social media initiatives are covered.
- Participate in ongoing Jewish learning and growth with other staff members
What you'll receive
- Competitive salary in the non-profit marketplace. The salary range for this role is $38,000 - $40,000.
- A comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, retirement plan, Life, AD&D and Long Term Disability (LTD) insurances, Flexible Spending accounts, generous vacation/sick time, and parental leave.
- Professional development, mentoring, and skill building opportunities.
About IU Hillel
The Helene G. Simon Hillel Center is the flagship Hillel program in the state of Indiana. There are approximately 4,000 Jewish undergrad and graduate students at Indiana University. With its many programs and services, IU Hillel engages approximately ½ - ¾ of those students throughout the course of the school year. IU Hillel serves students who walk through the doors of our building, as well as students on campus in order to create a warm, welcoming Jewish community at the University. IU Hillel prides itself on building the foundation for the Jewish future through developing students’ leadership skills and creating a strong, caring, and welcoming center for Jewish life at Indiana University. Our focus on creating opportunities for students to connect with the Jewish community on campus leads to their excitement, commitment, and connection with the Jewish community upon graduation. Hillel is also committed to promoting diversity programming on the IU campus, Bloomington, and throughout the state of Indiana.
About Hillel International
In 1923, Rabbi Benjamin Frankel started Hillel with humble means, a noble mission and a breathtaking vision: to convey Jewish civilization to a new generation. Today, Hillel International continues to enrich the lives of Jewish students and is the largest Jewish campus organization in the world at more than 550 colleges and universities across North America and around the world. As Hillel evolves as an organization, the mission remains steadfast: to create lasting connections with every Jewish student who fosters an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning, and Israel and trains them to become the next Jewish leaders.
Indiana University Hillel is affiliated with Hillel International. Hillel International enriches the lives of Jewish students so they may enrich the Jewish people and the world, and envisions a world where every student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel.
Hillel is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an accepting and inclusive environment for all.