Anshe Emeth Memorial Temple, in New Brunswick, NJ, seeks a full-time Director of Early Childhood Education, beginning June 2021, to oversee all aspects of our Gan Yeladeem Learning Center. The Director of Early Childhood Education is also a part of the professional staff of Anshe Emeth Memorial Temple and a partner in our early childhood engagement programs.
The Gan is a fully licensed child care center, with a capacity to enroll up to 60 children from 6 weeks old through preschool. The Gan is a nurturing, fun and safe place for children to learn and grow. Our integrated, developmentally appropriate, early education and Jewish curriculum encourages children to grow and explore at their own pace. With the support of our caring, creative and experienced staff and the support of expert consultants, the children at the Gan develop a foundation of learning that includes social-emotional development, language and an appreciation for literacy, math explorations, scientific discovery, fine and gross motor skills, and much, much more.
The Gan is committed to providing an enriching and nurturing environment based on progressive Jewish values and ideals where children develop a strong Jewish identity while receiving a high-quality, developmentally appropriate early education. We are committed to ongoing staff development which enables us to understand each child and helps each child reach their full potential. Through positive, strength-based approaches we help children develop high self-esteem. We strive to be models of inquiry and growth while supported by experienced and caring teachers, a community of educators and learners and our involved Rabbis and Cantor. The children at Gan Yeladeem are encouraged to love learning, take risks and respect themselves, each other and the adults in their lives.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Personnel Management – hiring, training and supervision of staff, and providing opportunities for professional growth and development.
• Program Management - ensuring the successful enrollment, advertising, and marketing of the early childhood program, ensuring student retention, and overseeing the assessment of child development and progress.
• Professional Growth – participating in required professional development and overseeing the professional development of the staff including working alongside consultants and other experts in the field of early education and childcare.
• Prepare and manage the budget of the Early Childhood Center.
• Curriculum Development and Implementation – Develop, implement and monitor the curriculum. Partner with the clergy to infuse Jewish values, holidays and cultural experiences into the curriculum.
• Legal Compliance – ensuring full compliance with all licensing and safety regulations required by the state.
• Communication – communication with families, staff, Parent Board, AEMT staff and professionals, congregants, prospective members, and families and others connected with early childhood engagement.
• Engagement and Outreach – work with AEMT professional staff to enhance current experiences and create additional opportunities for engagement of young families in the congregation and community.
• Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Early Childhood or Education, Early Childhood degree preferred.
• At least 3 years teaching and/or supervisory experience in a similar position. For candidates with Bachelor’s degrees, at least 1 year of supervisory experience is required.
• Experience working with young children and their families, preferably in a pre-school or child-care environment (3 years minimum).
• Knowledge of early childhood development and educational philosophies.
• Knowledge of and appreciation for Reform Judaism and its traditions and values, or willingness to learn and respect accordingly.
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to relate to families with young children.
• Excellent organizational and management skills.
• Excellent communication and customer service skills
• Ability to be thoughtful and creative, particularly in visioning and strategic planning.
• Ability to work as a team player in the life of the school and congregation.
• Ability to promote and communicate using technology and social networking.