Interim Director of Education
Temple Sinai, a warm, caring and vibrant 350-household Reform synagogue-community in the heart of Brookline MA, is seeking a dynamic educator to serve as our Interim Director of Education for 2021-22 / 5781. The Interim Director of Education will work in partnership with our clergy, staff and lay leaders to provide continuity for our robust, joyful and creative Jewish learning program for our families and children.
The Interim Director of Education will oversee all aspects of our Religious School program in Grades pre-K-12, working in coordination with our Rabbi, with our Assistant Rabbi in implementing our multi-faceted program for teens in Grades 8-12; and with our part-time Family Educator on our family learning programs. The Interim Director will have primary responsibility for implementing our two-day/week education program, supervising and inspiring our excellent faculty and specialists, coordinating day-to-day logistics, communicating with parents and faculty, and strengthening community among our families. Because we will be emerging from the pandemic, the Interim Director will also help design our re-opening plans and logistics.
This is a full-time position to begin in July 2021. Although our priority is hiring for an interim position for one year, we would also welcome those interested in extending their tenure beyond next year, as we look to the future and engage in a thoughtful visioning process about the structure and content of Jewish learning within our congregation.
Ideal candidates are for Temple Sinai’s Interim Director of Education have:
• Strong people skills
• Strong background in Jewish education
• Strong management and communication skills
• Strong faculty supervision skills
• Experience directing a supplemental Jewish education program
• Preferred: A Master’s degree in Jewish education
Ideal candidates are:
• Warm, caring, joyful and welcoming
• Collaborative, flexible and patient
• Organized and detail-oriented
• Creative, embracing innovation and experimentation
Notable features of our education program include:
• A two-day-a-week program, with weekly Sunday morning (grades K-7) and Tuesday afternoon (grades 3-7) classes
• A vibrant teen program, Sinai U, that provides multiple entry points as options for teens, including social justice work, direct service work, Jewish learning opportunities, youth grouping, publications, book group, Rosh Hodesh and Shevet discussion groups, and more
• A commitment to keeping class-sizes small
• Family Learning modules multiple times a year in every grade, including parallel learning opportunities
• Tuesday afternoon Tefilah sessions for each grade led individually by our rabbis, each week
• A monthly all-school Havdallah assembly that includes parents and children
• A new pilot program, currently being planned, that will shift two grades from a traditional Religious School model to a Family Learning model
• An annual Shabbaton camp retreat program (either grade-level, or congregation-wide)
• A monthly drop-off program for 3- and 4- year-olds
• Vibrant music and arts curriculum integrated into our school program
• A successful Hebrew program focused on Tefilah skills and modern Hebrew skills (starts in grade 2)
• An energetic and dynamic faculty, including many college students from neighboring universities, as well as veteran teachers, from a variety of Jewish backgrounds
• Milestone celebration events for specific grades (i.e., 4th grade Haggadah celebration, 3rd grade Hebrew celebration, etc.), and periodic Shabbat evening presentations by students
• An engaged and supportive population of families and students who live in both urban and suburban settings, and who participate in Jewish life from a diverse variety of backgrounds, experiences and family composition
• A strong tradition of partnership with the URJ summer camps and Israel summer programs
Diversity is a core value of Temple Sinai, and applicants with diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspectives are encouraged to apply.
Salary and benefits commensurate with experience.
To apply, or for information, please send your resume and cover letter by May 13, 2021 t******************************