Make your mark on one of the largest Jewish campus communities in the country! Queens College Hillel is looking for a creative and outgoing professional with supervisory experience and a strong project management background to serve as the Director of Engagement.
The Director of Engagement supports and works with a team of programming and engagement staff and leads the charge in creating and implementing a comprehensive engagement strategy to reach thousands of Jewish students at Queens College and across the borough. You’ll mentor, support and motivate Jewish student leaders from diverse communities and help them develop their leadership skills and use their authentic selves to build community for their peers. You will be accessible to students of all backgrounds, and possess confidence and comfort with a broad range of Jewish knowledgement, experiences, ideas and practices.
What You'll Do
- With the Executive Director and other staff, envision, design and execute an engagement and education plan to connect more than 70% of Jewish students at Queens College to QC Hillel’s mission
- Supervise, mentor and support the growth of 2 professionals, 10+ student interns, and 50+ talented student leaders running a robust program including Shabbat and holiday celebrations, Jewish learning opportunities, career readiness programming, community service and meaningful Jewish experiences
- Build relationships with around 180 students per year from diverse backgrounds through meaningful conversations
- Identify the needs of underserved students and develop strategies for meeting these needs
- Oversee campus expansion projects including our Neighborhood Engagement Internship and support Jewish student groups at local community colleges
What You've Accomplished
- 5-7 years of professional work experience in Jewish, experiential or higher education
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Experience as a professional in a Jewish nonprofit organization is preferred
- Proven success in community building and managing multiple projects, with many moving parts
- Excellent supervisory skills and ability to coach other to achieve outcomes
What You'll Bring to the Job
- A willingness to take risks and be creative, understanding that ambiguity is part of developing great new opportunities and experiences
- Comfort in managing teams and people, as well as working independently and collaboratively
- A strong commitment to Jewish pluralism and comfort with your own Jewish identity so you may act as a role model and mentor for emerging adults
- Ability to collaborate across teams both inside and outside of Hillel
- Expertise in leading complex conversations about Judaism and Israel in a way that is approachable, inquisitive, and meets students at various points in their personal journeys
- Experience working with a wide variety of socio-economic, religious and ethnic backgrounds
- A love of Queens
As Director of Engagement, A Typical Day May Include
- Meeting a student for coffee to learn about them and their journey
- Mentoring and motivating student leaders and staff as they contribute to Hillel and the entire campus community in new and creative ways
- Being on campus to promote QC Hillel and meet new faces
- Working with student interns to create off campus programming in the neighborhoods where our students live
- Overseeing the program budget, distributing funds, accounting for costs and pursuing new grant opportunities.
- Staffing Shabbat or holiday experiences, assisting with discussions, rituals and celebrations.
- Overseeing the collection and analysis of our engagement data and using data to support our engagement strategy, ensure timely and ongoing relationship building, and foster a culture of accountability
- Envisioning new ways for QC Hillel to support Jewish students, especially after a challenging year of remote-only opportunities
What You'll Receive
- Hillel offers a comprehensive benefits package including health insurance, retirement plan, Life, AD&D and Long Term Disability Insurances, generous vacation and medical time and parental leave.
- The salary range for this role is $65,000-$70,000
- Great professional development, mentoring and skill building opportunities
- Likely travel to Israel
- Nearly endless paid coffee conversations with amazing students
- The opportunity to live in the most diverse geographic region in the world (Queens) and experience everything Queens and New York City have to offer
About Queens College Hillel
Queens College Hillel envisions a world in which every Jewish student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel. By striving to create a welcoming community that reflects our diversity, we help students realize their needs and potential, and inspire them to explore their Jewish identity. For over 70 years QC Hillel has helped our 4,000 Jewish students make new friends, gain new mentors, live and celebrate the Jewish calendar, experience and discuss Israel, and engage in Jewish learning.
About Hillel International
In 1923, Rabbi Benjamin Frankel started Hillel with humble means, a noble mission and a breathtaking vision: to convey Jewish civilization to a new generation. Today, Hillel International continues to enrich the lives of Jewish students and is the largest Jewish campus organization in the world. As Hillel evolves as an organization, the mission remains steadfast; to create lasting connections with every Jewish student that foster an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel and trains them to become the next Jewish leaders.
Queens College Hillel is affiliated with Hillel International. Hillel International enriches the lives of Jewish students so that they may enrich the Jewish people and the world, and envisions a world where every student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel.
Hillel is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an accepting and inclusive environment for all.