Enrich the lives of Jewish students by joining UMass Hillel as the IACT Birthright Coordinator. IACT (Inspired, Active, Committed, Transformed) is an initiative that builds on the success of Birthright Israel by offering support and inspiration to students before, during, and beyond the trip. As an integral member of our student life team, you will oversee a comprehensive engagement strategy dedicated to creating community around our Israel experiences at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. You will recruit students for Birthright Israel trips by building one on one relationships with them, staff trips to Israel, and help connect students to opportunities that meet their interests upon their return to campus. UMass typically sends 100-140 students on Birthright trips each year.
You will leverage Israel experiences as a way to meaningfully engage a great diversity of Jewish students, with a special focus on those with little current connection to Hillel and/or Jewish life. Your role will further the personal and professional growth and development of UMass students. You will work with them prior to their departure and upon their return from to trip to engage them in Jewish life on campus, encouraging them to become involved as leaders and participants in student-organized Jewish programming and groups, and facilitating their participation in existing Israel-related opportunities on and off campus. You’ll wake up each day (or at least most) and be genuinely enthusiastic to help students explore, experience, and create vibrant connections to Israel and their Jewish identities. This is so much more than your average 9-to-5.
What You’ll Do
- Expand the number of Birthright Israel trip participants from UMass through relationship-building and robust and creative recruitment and marketing strategies.
- Engage participants in Jewish life after the trip in the areas of Israel education/advocacy, community service, and Jewish life and learning; develop personalized follow-up and individual Jewish/Israel plans with alumni to deepen individuals’ connection to Jewish life.
- Work with the UMass Hillel student life team to leverage the Birthright Israel participants as a core group through which others are engaged and brought into Jewish activities, thereby helping to transform campus Jewish life.
- Contribute as a full member of the UMass Hillel staff team, including advising and overseeing the activities of student groups, mentoring student leaders, and developing and supporting creative initiatives.
What You’ll Bring to the Job
- 0-2 years professional work experience
- Bachelors degree
- Sales or recruitment experience, either through a job, campus organization, or as a volunteer
- Natural ability to connect with a wide range of students
- Team player and clear communicator
- Ability to manage projects, with many moving parts, to set timetables and adhere to deadlines
- Proven leadership skills
- Interest in professional growth in a team environment
- Comfort presenting in front of groups, outgoing and personable
- Prior travel experience in Israel, and depth of personal connection with Israel and Judaism
- Excellent organizational, written, and verbal communication skills
- Experience with Jewish education and outreach
- Knowledge of Israeli society and culture
What You’ll Receive
- Competitive salary in the nonprofit marketplace, the salary range for this position is $38,000-$42,000
- A comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, Flexible Spending account, generous vacation/sick time, and parental leave
- Great professional development, mentoring, and skill building opportunities
- Travel regionally and abroad, particularly to Israel
About UMass Hillel
UMass Hillel is a vibrant and extremely active Hillel, located right next to the UMass Amherst campus. We empower students through the vitality of Jewish life to cultivate purposeful, healthy lives and relationships that better our community and world. With 10 Jewish student groups and a fun and dedicated staff team, UMass Hillel offers a huge range of meaningful programming and opportunities to engage the 2000+ Jewish students of UMass and beyond. We are located in the beautiful college town of Amherst in the Pioneer Valley.
About Hillel International
In 1923, Rabbi Benjamin Frankel started Hillel with humble means, a noble mission and a breathtaking vision: to convey Jewish civilization to a new generation. Today, Hillel International continues to enrich the lives of Jewish students and is the largest Jewish campus organization in the world at more than 550 colleges and universities across North America and around the world. As Hillel evolves as an organization, the mission remains steadfast: to create lasting connections with every Jewish student that foster an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning, and Israel and train them to become the next Jewish leaders.
UMass Hillel is affiliated with Hillel International. Hillel International enriches the lives of Jewish students so they may enrich the Jewish people and the world, and envisions a world where every student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel.
Hillel is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an accepting and inclusive environment for all.