B’nai Israel, a Conservative congregation that serves 1,200 families, and is located in Rockville MD. With a vibrant Talmud Torah (Religious School for K-12th grade) that serves 300 students, its main focus is social-emotional learning combined with a strong Jewish education program.
As part of our next phase of growth, we are looking for an INCLUSION SPECIALIST who can work in partnership with the education administration and faculty in identifying, accommodating, and creating a classroom environment that is truly inclusive of every child.
In addition to partially working during Talmud Torah sessions which take place from 9:00 am-12:15 pm, the Inclusion Specialist will spend a few hours weekly consulting and meeting with staff and parents via email and/or in person. Actual hours of work to be determined by the Education Director and employee prior to hiring.
The specialist will work with all K-6 grade classes, and their responsibilities will include:
• Work with the Education Director on collecting and processing all the IEP's (begin process over the summer) and relevant materials in addition to creating an “IEP at a glance” for teachers to access
• Partner with the Education Director in conducting meetings with parents about their child’s learning needs and then giving the teaching staff appropriate information on learners with special learning needs PRIOR to the beginning of the school year.
• Provide teaching staff with curricular goals/outlines based on instructional needs of learners including modifications of lessons that will meet student’s needs.
• Assist in training teachers and Madrichim on best practices for varied learning styles. Lead at least one teacher meeting about strategies to create a more inclusive learning environment
• Meet with grade teams & administration prior to the start of school to review IEP’s
• Create a rubric that will evaluate if a lesson has a variety of learning modalities.
• Conduct in-classroom teacher observations and provide post-observation feedback.
• Assess students and make recommendations for academic, social, and behavioral accommodations as needed in K-6th grades.
• Implement methods for feedback and input from families of special needs students.
• Create a protocol for observations and evaluations that can be shared with the Education Director and Associate Education Director.
• Work on initiating Inclusion components in the classrooms i.e. Schedule postings, fidgets with training, classroom design, use of language, and other techniques.
• Help design an infrastructure that supports inclusion in our Talmud Torah and community. I.e. Communication protocols with parents, marketing our inclusion program in the larger community, teacher forms, and records for students.