Supervisor: Executive Director/Temple Administrator
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Answer phones, assist people on the phone using extreme tact and discretion, take messages and distribute accordingly.
The nature of the office demands that you have excellent communication skills with both outside people and internal staff. Courtesy, consideration, and service on the phone and in-person are always necessary.
2. Greet people who come into the office and address their needs. There will be congregants and non-congregants coming into the office so you can expect to as a minimum:
a. Accept packages and mail
b. Direct repair people and workman to the proper place or contact the Temple Administrator or Head Custodian depending on who requested the service call.
c. Direct people to the appropriate TAS person for a scheduled or non-scheduled appointment. Have them wait in reception area until that person is available. Do not allow non-members to leave the reception area unescorted.
d. Assist congregants and other people as needed to pay off obligations for Temple membership, events or other activities or register them for Temple events.
3. Word-processing to include correspondence with members and non-members, weekly flyers as directed by Temple Administrator/Executive Director including but not limited to the eCal, Friday bulletin, and thank-you letters to donors. Assist clergy assistant with procedures and documents as needed.
4. Backup of clergy secretary when clergy secretary is either on vacation, ill or in need of assistance due to a time constraint.
5. Assist Temple Administrator/Executive Director, Board members, staff and committee members with copying, printing and other tasks as needed to keep everyone informed.
6. Maintain inventory of office supplies and with the approval of the Temple Administrator/Executive Director order replacement supplies. Maintain office supply cabinets in organized manner.
7. Monitor office equipment (such as postage machine, fax machine, copy machines, etc) and request service when necessary with the approval of the Temple Administrator/Executive Director. Copier ink toner is automatically re-ordered but staple cartridges, postage meter ink and any inkjet cartridges need to be ordered manually.
8. Maintain confidential congregant and synagogue files.
a. In conjunction with this, with the help of the Finance Manager/Temple Administrator/Executive Director, you will enter pledges, tributes, contributions and donations into the Congregation Relational Management (CRM) database.
b. Keep current all membership paper files and archive past member paper files as needed.
c. Enter all new members into the Congregational Relational Management (CRM) database and forward information to membership committee, auxiliaries, BOT president (s) and clergy assistant (for initial meeting with clergy).
9. Open and Distribute mail.
a. Checks received shall be posted to CRM database within 1 day and then given to the finance manager for direct depositing into bank account.
b. Tributes shall be posted into CRM database. Checks shall then be given to the finance manager for direct depositing into the bank account. Tributes shall be placed in the Tribute folder for Tribute volunteer to enter into database.
c. Checks for the Rabbi’s Discretionary Account shall be given to the Rabbi’s assistant.
10. Work with congregant families and non-congregants holding events at TAS with their event planning questions.
11. Prepare Rabbi’s pulpit notebook for use at the Friday night and Saturday morning services.
a. Include week’s Yahrzeit list (include phonetic spelling to assist in reading of names as necessary) as well as Chesed list which the clergy assistant will provide.
b. Light appropriate memorial plaque lights in Sanctuary prior to Friday night service
12. Light all memorial plaque lights in Sanctuary prior to all Yizkor services.
a. Order new plaques for memorial boards in Sanctuary as directed by congregants
b. Order new leaves for Tree of Life as directed by congregants.
13. Keep and maintain tidiness of reception area.
14. Ensure that phone system is switched to night mode when leaving the building if you are the last one but no earlier than 5 pm.
15. Work with Temple Administrator / Executive Director on calendar issues
a. Enter all Temple events including other committee members events on the website calendar as they are scheduled.
b. Work with internal office tracker scheduling program or equivalent to help Temple Administrator/Executive Director with scheduling rooms and events.
Administrative Assistant position shall be adjusted to 25-29 hours per week based on a schedule roughly Monday to Friday from 9:00 am to 3:30 pm with 60 minutes for lunch. There is some flexibility in the hours.
Any additional hours above and beyond 29 hours per week shall be approved in advance by the Temple Administrator/Executive Director.
Technical Skills Preferred
1. Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
2. Adobe InDesign
3. Some web design knowledge (for assisting in updating calendar details on website)
4. Some experience with databases (ShulCloud is preferred)