About The Joint Institute and Jewish National Fund-USA:
Jewish National Fund-USA Joint Institute for Global Food, Water and Energy Security was established in 2019 to address food, water, and energy crises across the world using the expertise of the University of Arizona, the institutions in the Arava region of Israel, and JNF-USA.
The Institute will develop tools and design methods to adapt technologies and initiate programs to aid communities in arid and hyper-arid environments with a focus on Africa. Leveraging the existing facilities and resources of the University of Arizona and the Arava region, the Joint Institute will promote applied research and student training programs. Over the next 3 to 5 years, the Joint Institute will establish at least 3 multi-disciplinary programs in Africa that will further sustainable development. Funding will initially come from JNF-USA, with additional funding to come from private and public sources.
Jewish National Fund-USA is looking to hire a Director to lead the Joint Institute from its early stages to a prominent role in fostering sustainable projects enhancing food, energy and water security.
The Director will provide the Joint Institute with strategic leadership and will oversee the Institute’s operations and development. The focus of the Director will be to play a leadership role in managing its day-to-day affairs and to ensure excellent communication between JNF-USA, University of Arizona, the Arava, and the Joint Institute’s Board of Governors, as well as the subcommittees charged with developing strategies to identify, deploy, and measure important initiatives and projects with the potential to have significant impact in vastly different geographies. The Director will help focus these strategies by building consensus and developing tactics and attendant budgets around deployment.
This position will report to Jewish National Fund-USA’s Israel Chief of Staff and will be based in the Arava in Israel.
• Build an Annual Operating Plan and Financial Plan with achievable target setting.
• Build reliable relationships with key internal and external stakeholders.
• Represent the face of the Joint Institute in planning and implementing projects, as well as helping to assist in fundraising efforts.
• Direct and assist in budget development and compliance, including reporting procedures.
• Work in a motivational, accretive, and consultative fashion, while maintaining organizational discipline.
• Travel throughout Israel and international travel
• 8+ years of comparable work experience, as well as strong leadership, planning, analytical, and communication skills (written and verbal).
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required; MBA or other relevant advanced degree preferred.
• Must be fluent in speaking and writing both English and Hebrew.
• Must have familiarity with Israeli and American Culture.
• Must have decision-making skills and the ability to balance multiple data points, stakeholders, and overall funding landscape in designing and implementing strategies.
• Must have experience managing budgets and finances
• As a face of the Joint Institute, the candidate must have meaningful experience in roles that demonstrate involvement in public policy, project finance, or food/water/energy solutions.
• Collaboration and Teamwork – Builds and sustains strong teams and relationships.
• Leadership Style-- The successful candidate will demonstrate a collaborative, accessible, and adaptable leadership style and should be able to both delegate and perform tasks directly as needed for optimal results.
• Relationship Building – Identifies and builds key relationships at levels appropriate to existing and emerging strategies and the needs of the Institute.
• Achieving Results – Clearly defines and commits to financial and/or operational results; interprets and communicates expected outcomes and holds self and others accountable to achieve results using performance coaching and clear feedback.
• Strategic Thinking – Agility is needed to create or support competitive strategies and plans to achieve Joint Institute objectives.