Westchester Reform Temple (WRT) is one of Westchester’s most prominent synagogues, and among the leading Reform Jewish congregations in the country. WRT is a vibrant and ever evolving institution with a variety of religious service offerings, an innovative religious school (Jewish Learning Lab) and a thriving Early Childhood Center.
WRT seeks to hire a Director of Social Impact and Community Engagement. This full-time professional role is a new position and has been created to strengthen and elevate WRT’s work of Tikkun Olam (repairing the world) and other programming priorities.
Successful implementation of our goals for this new role will include:
1. Elevate WRT’s work in pursuing social justice for impact locally, statewide, nationally, and globally. Work closely with clergy and lay leaders to:
a. Create a holistic approach to developing an ethos of community service and social justice that reaches all of our constituencies
b. Develop a coherent philosophy and strategy for WRT’s approach to tzedakah (charity/community service) and tzedek (social justice) that will serve as guiding vision for Tikkun Olam at the temple and a reference point for determining the issues and types of engagement WRT will pursue
c. Identify new opportunities to infuse social impact work across “departments” (ex: Jewish Learning Lab, Early Childhood Center, etc.) and volunteer cohorts
2. Generate enthusiasm for Tikkun Olam among the congregation of WRT
a. Deepen personal outreach methods to members of our community, to engage them in social impact programming
b. Mobilize community participation in generating ideas for, planning, and participating in social impact initiatives
c. Cultivate congregational volunteers to join in the leadership required for this work to be successful
3. Incorporate Tikkun Olam into existing programs at WRT
a. Organize existing programs into a cohesive and easily understood “menu” of opportunities
b. Oversee and coordinate programmatic and logistic aspects of this work, with the goal of streamlining WRT’s efforts in this area
4. Build relationships and partnerships with local agencies, non-profits, fellow houses of worship, and coalitions to understand needs in Westchester, New York State and nationally and ascertain where WRT efforts can be the most helpful
5. Promote WRT’s many forms of congregational, local, and global engagement that produce social impact
a. Coordinate with WRT’s Clergy and communications team to promote and highlight the breadth of programming in this area to our community
6. Design and develop new and creative initiatives to keep Tikkun Olam at the forefront of WRT’s engagement efforts
The measures of success for the Director of Social Impact and Community Engagement will include the following:
1. An active cohort of congregational volunteers coordinated to help lead and recruit congregant participation in this effort
2. Congregants - adults and children alike - come to regard WRT as “a place where I learned that I have the power, with my heart and my hands, to change the world”
3. WRT emerges as a leading voice for social justice, and a role model for how a Reform Jewish congregation engages its community through Tikkun Olam
The Director of Social Impact and Community Engagement will report to the Senior Rabbi and Executive Director and will work closely with clergy, professional staff and volunteers on the design and implementation of social impact programming at WRT, both those which are already ongoing, and those which will be newly created. The Director of Social Impact and Community Engagement will work to create new meaningful opportunities to enhance and strengthen social impact work at WRT.
Qualifications and Experience
* Bachelor’s Degree required
* 7+ years of substantive experience in social action work, community building, social activism, community organizing, program development and implementation, or similar
* Proven track record of cultivating meaningful relationships with individuals and groups, and inspiring them to take action
* Experience with, and understanding of, the liberal Jewish community, including its culture, values and interests
* Passionate and outgoing, a self-starter who is detail oriented, someone able to work respectfully and effectively as a member of a team
* Demonstrated excellence in organizational, managerial, and communication skills
* Proven ability to strategize, set and meet goals, evaluate and adjust based on outcomes
The compensation package for this new full-time position is commensurate with experience. WRT offers contributions towards healthcare and disability insurance premiums, a flexible on-site work schedule, paid time off for vacation and sick days, and other temple benefits.
WRT believes strongly that all applicants, including women and people of color, should be considered fairly for employment opportunities at the temple. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and we recognize that our best candidate may be one who comes from a less traditional background, or one who does not meet every single one of the qualifications listed in this job description. We would encourage you to apply, if you feel you are poised to excel at leading this important work with WRT.
To apply, email your cover ******************reviewed on a rolling basis and the search will remain open until a candidate is hired. No phone inquiries, please.