Job Title: CRC Legislative Advocacy Manager
Department: Community Relations Council (CRC)
Reports to: Director of CRC
Part time: 4 days a week
The objective of the Government Affairs and Legislative Advocacy division of CRC is to maximize financial support at the federal, state, and county level for the 14 affiliated agencies of the Jewish Federation of Greater MetroWest; strengthen laws which impact social service delivery and philanthropy; support the CRC’s domestic public policy goals; engage elected officials and their staffs in Federation activities and educate and engage community members in CRC’s public policy work.
The Legislative Advocacy (LA) Manager will work with Federation colleagues and representatives of our affiliated agencies to help secure federal and state money; educate our elected leaders about the priorities of our constituents in the areas of healthcare, security needs, non-public schools, support for the elderly, disabled, and Holocaust survivors. The Legislative Advocacy Manager will work with professional staff and volunteer leaders to impact public policy through advocacy and relationship building.
• Act as an advocacy resource for Federation’s partner agencies, day schools, and synagogues, in close collaboration with internal Federation departments.
• Develop and deliver advocacy training to Federation lay leaders, professional staff, and agency partners.
• Collaborate with Jewish Federations of NJ and the four partner Federation CRCs to foster a strong NJ Jewish community and presence across the state.
• Work with Federation’s Social Media Manager to Maintain CRC’s social media, specifically Twitter and Facebook, with a focus on advocacy, community engagement, and Jewish communal relations.
• Cultivate and maintain relationships with advocacy organizations across NJ on issues of importance to Federation and its partners on issues related to social justice, the needs of older adults, individuals with disabilities, nonpublic schools, and social services.
• Focus on communal relationship building between Federation and its local, state, and federal elected representatives and community leaders.
• Assist CRC Director with planning state and federal advocacy missions and other events as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS/SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS:
• Three to five years of professional experience in communal or government affairs.
• Excellent organizational, written, and oral communication skills.
• Must have knowledge of and experience with public policy and Jewish organizational life.
• Established relationships with elected representatives (and/or their staffs) a plus.
• Ability to work both independently without close oversight, but also as a team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority.
• Experience with public speaking in large and small groups.
• Ability to be persuasive in presenting public policy initiatives.
• Ability to work effectively on a bipartisan basis.
• Knowledge of Jewish community, culture, heritage, traditions, and Jewish communal services preferred.
• Demonstrated proficiency in computer software skills and use of technology, including in all Microsoft Office Suite of Products.