About the Organization
The world’s largest local philanthropy, UJA-Federation of New York’s mission is to care for Jews everywhere and New Yorkers of all backgrounds, to respond to crises close to home and far away, and to shape our Jewish future. Funds raised by UJA-Federation sustain the activities of local health, human-service, educational, and community agencies. Every day, these community-based organizations provide a multitude of services that improve and enhance people’s lives.
Working closely with the Executive Director of LEAD, the Assistant Director is responsible for helping to shape and develop the department’s suite of initiatives, including existing and future programs. This includes generating ideas to further the department’s annual goals, working with the team on an annual execution plan, and suggesting upgrades to current processes as well as any produced material and resources, as needed.
About the Department
The Leadership Engagement Department, or LEAD, is UJA’s centralized hub for lay talent management. We strategically deploy, recruit, and career-path volunteer leaders. We also provide tools, programming and individual guidance to develop leadership excellence, helping to ensure that UJA has a cadre of lay leaders prepared to most effectively steward the organization and the Jewish community.
We are seeking a sharp strategist, eager to be a key thought partner in furthering the vision and work of the department. A first-rate project manager with a penchant for innovation, an appetite to think out-of-the box, and an eye for excellence in execution. Possessing superior interpersonal and communication skills along with outstanding emotional intelligence and a strong social radar.
· Works to match lay leaders and donors to appropriate engagement opportunities on UJA’s internal committees and partner agency boards.
· Helps to recruit lay talent with specific skill set, experience, demographic profile for both internal lay committees and agency boards.
· Designs and develops procedures related to leadership engagement tools and strategies.
· Coordinates ongoing efforts to effectively and efficiently share donor information between the planning and fundraising departments, including a quarterly engagement report.
· Supervises LEAD’s Planning Coordinator and oversees administrative and program functions in the department.
· Oversees department-wide processes, including placement portfolio analysis, performance measurement, and the implementation of new engagement strategies.
· Tracks and reports on implementation of department goals.
· Envisions and coordinates leadership trainings and content-driven events as necessary.
· Reviews and suggests necessary updates for printed materials and tools developed by LEAD, e.g. Leadership Handbook, Job Descriptions, Best Practices, etc.
· Together with the Executive Director, staffs the LEAD Lay Committee, helping to structure meetings, agendas and committee activity.
· Along with the Executive Director, development and implementation of team-building and staff development, including retreats.