The Yiddish Book Center seeks a Chief Financial Officer and Treasurer to join this dynamic cultural organization. Founded in 1980, the Center is a nonprofit organization working to recover, celebrate, and regenerate Yiddish and modern Jewish literature and culture. Housed in an architecturally distinctive building adjacent to the campus of Hampshire College in Amherst, MA, the Center offers an intellectually stimulating, reflective, and creative environment. The Center has an annual operating budget of more than $6 million and a growing endowment of $42 million.
The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) is responsible for all aspects of the financial, human resources, and facilities operations for the Center. Reporting directly to the Executive Director, the CFO is a member of the senior management team. The CFO directly supervises the Manager of Finance and Administration and the Facilities Manager.
Specific Financial responsibilities include:
• Oversee financial transactions and maintain a financial records system that ensure accuracy, data integrity, and compliance with generally accepted accounting principles.
• Ensure compliance with federal and state tax, employment and other pertinent laws and regulations
• Develop financial and business policies and procedures
• Staff the Board Finance and Investment Committees
• Manage and invest the endowment in compliance with Board of Directors’ policy and maintain endowment unit pool
• Manage investments and operation of charitable gift annuity program in compliance with individual state regulations
• Serve as principal liaison with external auditors
• Develop and manage budget in consultation with the President and Executive Director
• Oversee risk management program to ensure protection of all organizational assets
• Maintain banking, payroll, fringe benefit and insurance relationships with external providers
Specific Human Resources responsibilities include:
• Serve as sponsor for employee pension plan
• Develop personnel policies and procedures in consultation with Executive Director
• Oversee annual health insurance plan selection
Specific Facilities Responsibilities include:
• Direct the Facilities Manager to ensure the maintenance of all building systems and care of the grounds
• Develop budgets and long-range facilities plans
• Oversee building security systems
• Hire and supervise contractors involved in facility projects and delivery of services
Qualities of the successful candidate include:
• 7-10 years experience in a senior financial management position
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or similar field. Advanced degree or CPA preferred
• Experience with automated financial systems and software
• Demonstrated excellence in managing finance, accounting, budgeting, control and reporting
• Strong organizational ability and analytic skills
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Sense of humor and flexibility
• Human Resources and facilities management experience preferred
• Non-profit experience preferred.
• Amherst, MA with some remote work possible.
The Yiddish Book Center is an equal opportunity employer.