The Associate Director, Policy and Government Affairs will serve as one of AIPAC’s senior registered lobbyists, responsible for building and maintaining relationships on Capitol Hill and with the broader Washington, D.C. policy community to support and promote AIPAC’s legislative agenda. S/he will also manage an issue-specific portfolio under the supervision and guidance of PGA leadership.
• Build and maintain strong relationships with Members of Congress, congressional staff and other policy professionals in Washington, D.C. in support and promotion of AIPAC’s comprehensive legislative agenda;
• Independently identify opportunities and develop key initiatives to strengthen U.S.-Israel cooperation in assigned areas. Such areas could include national security/foreign policy, defense, cyber, energy or economics;
• Independently devise and promote policy campaigns in the above areas under the guidance of a Deputy Director, PGA;
• Prepare written materials for use with internal and external audiences;
• Speak at AIPAC events, as required;
• Supervise other staff, as appropriate;
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in relevant field; Advanced degree preferred;
• 7+ years of policy, government relations, advocacy or other relevant experience; Prior work on Capitol Hill or in the executive branch strongly preferred.
• Understanding of the legislative process and the intersection between policy and politics;
• Familiarity with Israeli history and politics and American policy in the Middle East;
• Strong analytic and communications skills, able to articulate complex concepts in a concise and compelling manner;
• Demonstrated ability to take initiative, think creatively, and execute successfully;
• Ability to work both independently and collaboratively;
• Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced, team environment with tight deadlines;
• Demonstrated ability to work with senior AIPAC professionals and lay leadership or with their equivalents in other settings;
• Ability to supervise other staff, as required;
• Attention to detail.