Join the fun and dynamic team at Congregation Emanu El!
Congregation Emanu El, a large Reform synagogue in Houston, Texas is seeking a talented Executive Assistant (EA) with outstanding customer service experience, strong organizational and communications skills, and the ability to maintain confidentiality. This person primarily supports the Senior Rabbi of the congregation, but also assists the Rabbi Emeritus (retired). The EA is responsible for ensuring that members and non-members who have reached out to the Senior Rabbi or Rabbi Emeritus are responded to in a timely manner.
The EA reports directly to the Senior Rabbi of the congregation, and indirectly to the Executive Director.
Main Responsibilities Include:
• Handle incoming calls for Senior Rabbi and Rabbi Emeritus and follow-up calls as needed.
• Schedule all appointments and keep calendar current at all times for Senior Rabbi
• Preparation of letters, memos, reports, and other types of correspondence.
• Maintain files and scheduling for life cycle events as they arise (baby namings, funerals, weddings, unveilings) and include follow-up correspondence and communications with the families regarding their needs.
• Coordinate with members of the Clergy team and their assistants for meetings, activities, and events.
• Organize clergy retreats.
• Handle Senior Rabbi’s travel arrangements.
• Collect meeting agenda items and prepare agendas.
• In close consultation with the Senior Rabbi, administer the Clergy Good Works Fund, i.e., prepare check requests for various charitable organizations and maintain informational log.
• Work with Jewish Family Service to assist members that are in need.
• Schedule appointments for B’nei Mitzvah students and their parents, and collect parent blessings for the Bar/Bat Mitzvah student’s presentation.
• Prepare documents for Shabbat services and Jewish holidays.
• During High Holy Days, answer phones and assist with other duties as needed.
• Prepare the clergy preaching calendar.
• Assist coworkers and congregants as needed.
• Process PTO/leave requests.
• Communicate with Program Director regarding building usage.
• Other duties as determined by the Senior Rabbi.
Qualifications and Skills:
• Great written and interpersonal communication skills
• Comfortable in a fast-paced environment
• Collaborative and cooperative
• Organized and friendly
• Proactive with the ability to anticipate the needs of those you support
• Familiarity with the customs of Jewish life will be helpful
• Experience with Microsoft Office
• Strong computer skills and comfort with workplace technology
Experience: Minimum of 3 years in a busy office environment. Prior experience in supporting a senior executive and working in a non-profit environment preferred.