The Jewish Federation of Howard County (JFHC) seeks an Executive Director (ED) to enhance the visibility of, support for, and engagement with the JFHC among Howard County’s Jewish population. The next Executive Director of the JFHC will work in partnership with the staff and the Board of Directors in cultivating and sustaining a culture of open communication, ease of access, transparency, responsiveness, and proactive outreach in serving the needs of Howard County’s Jewish community.
About the Jewish Federation of Howard County
The Jewish Federation is the major instrument of Jewish philanthropy and cross-community engagement in Howard County, Maryland. We are a community-driven organization committed to addressing the needs of the Jewish people and building a vibrant Jewish future in Howard County.
Through our Annual Campaign, we raise and allocate funds to provide for those in need, including seniors, the underserved and other individuals and families who need our help. Additionally, working closely with existing Jewish organizations, such as synagogues, the Federation provides programming for all segments of the population to ensure a Jewish community today and in the future.
To learn more about the JFHC, visit http://xxxxxxxxxxxxx
The JFHC is seeking an Executive Director (ED) who will be a strategic thinker, who will oversee operations, and will be the primary driver and promoter of its mission. The ED will need to ensure the short- and long-term health of the organization by scanning the ever-changing landscape, and positioning JFHC to adapt and thrive. The ED will recognize strengths and opportunities, demonstrate an ability to shift resources as needed, and will be able to translate vision and strategy into practical and tangible action plans.
The ED will also oversee all fundraising and be responsible for securing the necessary resources for JFHC.
The ED must have the experience and skills to develop and leverage a range of community relationships, while continuing to nurture JFHC’s strong existing partnerships within the Jewish community.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Provide strategic leadership
- Collaborate with the Board of Directors to define the organization’s short and long-term goals
- Work with the Board and the Development Director to execute all fundraising
- Foster a culture of excellence, openness, positivity and teamwork among staff, volunteers, and the Board so that each may be informed and enhance the other’s work
- Be alert to potential new programs, partnerships and strategic opportunities, and work with the Board and the Program Director to decide how to move forward on them and to adapt to changing circumstances
- Develop collegial and constructive working relationships with leaders and members of Howard County Jewish organizations
- Establish and maintain positive working relationships with other faith communities in Howard County
- Serve as professional spokesperson for JFHC as required or defer to lay leadership when appropriate
Financial & Personnel Management:
- Provide leadership to ensure goals are being met and priorities are achieved, and that staff understands its roles and responsibilities.
- Oversee the hiring and performance of the JFHC staff.
- Oversee, guide staff, and report to the Board on the performance and effectiveness of JFHC programs.
- Develop, implement, and monitor an annual operating plan and budget for the organization.
- Ensure financial controls are in place and supervise all financial activity of the organization.
- Oversee the relationship with The Associated and/or other contracted financial firms with respect to financial and other contracted services they provide to the JFHC.
- Control organizational expenses and monitor performance against budget.
- Develop and oversee annual campaign strategy and implementation with the annual Campaign Director.
- Oversee, develop, and execute legacy giving program.
- Research and write grants for JFHC programs when applicable and relevant.
- Manage corporate sponsorship relationships and opportunities with the annual Campaign Director.
Board Development & Governance:
- Assist nominating committee with Board recruitment and provide orientation for new Board members.
- Lead, manage and support strategic planning processes when appropriate.
- Ensure that Bylaws and all records are accurate and timely.
- Establish and maintain relationships with government officials and other community leaders to advocate on behalf of Jewish causes.
- Coordinate closely with and provide staffing for the Jewish Community Relations Council to ensure a coherent and consistent presence in communicating with elected and appointed officials, the media, and with leaders and members of the Jewish community.
- Provide an “Israel” presence at community events when requested or required.
Qualifications & Experience
- Five to eight years of experience working in a non-profit fundraising organization or related field preferred, including supervisory -experience.
- Experience and demonstrated success in nonprofit management and fundraising, including identifying and securing public and private grants.
- Demonstrated ability to be the principal spokesperson with external stakeholders.
- Strong knowledge of and commitment to Jewish culture, values, traditions, and celebrations.
- An established record of successful coalition-building with community stakeholders.
- Evidence of success in developing and managing an annual operating budget.
- Experience working effectively with a Board to carry out the mission of an organization and develop strategic direction.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred
Desired Competencies & Skills
- Passion for the mission
- Outstanding skills in building, cultivating and stewarding relationships
- Able to connect with people, build coalitions, maintain a positive attitude, and enjoy working with a diverse and wide range of stakeholders
- Flexible and creative thinker, nimble with innovative approaches to solving problems and overcoming challenges
- Superior written, spoken, and organizational skills
- Skilled in the tools of current multi-media communication
Compensation & Benefits
Salary Range: $90,000-125,000 annually.
The Jewish Federation of Howard County offers a competitive package, including health insurance, 401(k) employer match, employer-paid life insurance and long-term disability, flexible spending plan, and a complimentary membership to the Jewish Community Center. We make work/life balance a priority offering generous paid holidays, vacation/sick time, and parental leave.
Electronic submissions are preferred. Qualified candidates, please apply at: http://xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Please submit cover letters including s*********************nline application.
Note: This job ad is not intended to be all-inclusive, but to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed.