Who We Are
Temple Ahavat Shalom is a Reform congregation located in Northridge, CA. Around for more than 50 years, we pride ourselves on being an authentic, relevant, and inclusive community. We welcome all members of the community, including families, singles, young adults, seniors, same-gender and interfaith families. Lifelong friendships are formed while celebrating Judaism in all its richness.
What We Are Seeking
We are currently searching for a Youth Coordinator to join our team of dedicated, nurturing, creative, and fun loving professionals. The Youth Coordinator is responsible for the planning and implementation of programming for our three youth groups- Club 345 (3rd- 5th graders), Jr. TASTY (6th-7th graders) and Sr. TASTY (8th-12th graders). In addition to informal education, we would like the Youth Coordinator to teach the twice a month 8th and 9th grade class in consultation with the Religious School Director.
- Plan, coordinate, promote, and supervise programming for our three youth groups; Club 345 (3rd-5th grade), Jr. TASTY (6th-7th grade) and Sr. TASTY (8th-12th grade).
- Teach 8th/9th grade in our TAS Chai Program (curriculum created in consultation with Religious School Director)
- Serve as a positive role model for Jewish living and good citizenship
- Ensure safety, security, and appropriate behavior of children at all events
- Collect and maintain emergency contact forms for participating children.
- Coordinate parent chaperones/drivers to help supervise and attend activities as needed.
- Promote and occasionally accompany youth members to regional programs, activities, and overnights.
- Every Tuesday evening (either class or social lounge nights)
- Weekend events/trips as planned (2-3 events per month total- some can be scheduled on the same weekend)
- Desire and ability to work with and relate to 3rd-12th graders
- Strong background in formal/informal Jewish education as a youth advisor, Jewish camp counselor, religious school teacher, and/or experience in other relevant settings
- Desire and ability to serve as a positive Jewish role model and mentor youth
- Strong communication and organization skills
- Familiarity with Social Media
- Desire to work as a team with professionals and volunteers to coordinate and supervise synagogue programs
- First Aid, CPR Certification or receive within 30 days of employment
- Due to the direct contact work with youth, parents, and the community at large, we expect that the person to be hired to be fully COVID-19 vaccinated by start of employment.
Compensation and Benefits
-This position is $25/hr with an expected average of 8-10 hours/week
-As Youth Coordinator, you are an important part of the Temple Ahavat Shalom community and we encourage you to make this your spiritual and communal home. You are welcome to participate in our services and programs.
-In addition to Shabbat services, the Youth Coordinator is invited to attend High Holy Days services and may also request a ticket for a spouse, partner, or other family member.
All employment subject to background check.