GatherDC’s Communications Coordinator will channel GatherDC’s brand voice and bring a relational mindset to all of our online mediums in support of GatherDC’s online and written communications.
This is an entry-level position. We are looking for an enthusiastic, creative individual who is excited to begin their career at an innovative grassroots Jewish nonprofit organization. This position comes with a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package.
TITLE: Communications Coordinator
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Sunday, October 3rd @ 11:59pm EDT
SALARY: $45k - $47k
LOCATION: Washington, DC (remote for time being)
Frequently cited statistics show that historical biases in hiring lead to less applications from women and underrepresented groups unless they have 100% of the qualifications. GatherDC is committed to removing bias in hiring; as such, we encourage you to break that statistic and apply. No one ever meets 100% of the qualifications! We look forward to your application.
WHO WE ARE
GatherDC is the central platform for post-college/pre-family Jewish life across the DC-area and is building one of the most dynamic and inclusive cities for millennial and Gen Z Jewish life. We strengthen the fabric of Jewish life throughout the DMV, facilitating innovative opportunities for meaningful and relevant Jewish learning and stewarding relationships to help Jews in their 20s and 30s connect to Jewish organizations and to each other. We work with the rich network of Jewish communal synagogues, JCCs, and institutions to help them best serve young Jewish adults, and we champion relationship-based engagement, understanding that a thriving Jewish ecosystem is only as strong as the relationships we build with individuals and with the wider community.
WHO YOU ARE
The Communications Coordinator will work closely with GatherDC’s Digital Content Manager to support and drive GatherDC’s online presence. You will be an integral member of the two-person Communications team, supporting our day-to-day communications operations such as publishing our weekly newsletter, conducting Jewish Person of the Week and Spotted in Jewish DC interviews, copywriting, calendar of events maintenance, and more. You may have some professional experience in communications or marketing, or perhaps are coming out of a degree in communications - most importantly, you are an excellent copy writer and editor who is excited to begin your comms career at GatherDC. Through your work, Jewish DC will feel seen, reflected, and connected to communities, individuals, experiences, institutions, and organizations that reflect and help them realize the Jewish lives they want to live.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
Manage GatherDC’s weekly newsletter 40%
- Utilize Salesforce and Campaign Monitor to write, edit, schedule, and publish GatherDC’s weekly newsletter.
- Interview, transcribe, and publish community members for Jewish Person of the Week, Spotted in Jewish DC, Mentor of the Month spotlights.
- Communicate with community partners regarding external newsletter content.
- Coordinate community partner advertising schedule with Digital Content Manager and Administrative Coordinator.
- Solicit and edit community blog posts.
- Oversee website calendar submissions and ensure accuracy in weekly newsletter links.
Support dynamic and engaging social media content creation 30%
- Work with Digital Content Manager with creation, coordination, and supporting content curation, distribution, and engagement across multiple platforms, with a strong emphasis on web, social media, blog posts, and email.
- Generate graphics and video content for GatherDC experiences, events, and other marketing needs as they arise.
- Write and edit written copy for GatherDC experiences to ensure brand voice alignment on all external content.
Monitor website and social media channels 20%
- Manage website event calendar - ensuring events are successfully submitted and published - and troubleshoot when necessary.
- Work with Digital Content Manager to maintain and update copy where necessary.
- Generate new ideas for GatherDC website content.
- Monitor social media channel DMs and inboxes and reply to messages and questions in a timely manner in appropriate GatherDC voice.
- Respond to, moderate, and remove/report public-facing comments on social media channels when necessary.
- Liaise with GatherDC website developer for troubleshooting and regular upkeep.
Design and order print and swag marketing materials 10%
- Design and order creative marketing “swag” items for our community (think mugs, water bottles, t-shirts - and whatever you dream up!).
- Work with vendor to order printed materials for retreats, classes, fundraising campaigns, and more.
- 0 to 3 years of professional experience.
- Professional experience with Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, and WordPress.
- Canva, Campaign Monitor, Salesforce (or equivalent CRM) proficiency is a plus.
- You’re an excellent copywriter with a hawk-eye for detail.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- You’re detail-oriented. You are thorough, accurate, and organized, and things rarely fall through the cracks. You’re able to see all pieces of the puzzle, and are not afraid to ask follow-up questions to get to the root of a problem.
- You’re excellent with time management. You can easily prioritize competing projects and priorities, and know what systems you need in place to effectively multitask and finish assigned projects by or before deadlines are due.
- You’re a creative thinker. You’re great at thinking outside of the box and are able to not only conceptualize new ideas that don’t yet exist, but understand the steps that need to happen to bring them to life.
- You’re a strong communicator. You are comfortable using a broad range of communication styles and you choose appropriate, effective ways to communicate to different audiences in diverse situations. You are able to adapt the tone and style of your writing to suit the medium and audience at hand.
- You’re tech-savvy. You have a natural aptitude for familiarizing yourself with new technologies and are eager to embrace and leverage different tools and systems to more effectively and efficiently accomplish your goals. Unfamiliar tech tools and systems aren’t roadblocks, but exciting opportunities to stretch your brain and build new skills.
PLEASE APPLY IF
- You enjoy change and creativity.
- You’re passionate about building digital communities.
- You are an awesome human being.
BENEFITS & SALARY
- We offer a competitive salary ranging from $45,000 - $47,000, commensurate with experience.
- We are fully set up for remote work to accommodate Covid-19 safety and concerns; when it’s safe to do so, we are excited to have you join us full-time at the GatherDC townhouse in Dupont Circle.
- We provide amazing benefits, including robust employer-sponsored healthcare options, generous discretionary and sick leave, retirement matching, an annual professional development stipend, and more.
WHAT TO EXPECT
We know the job application process is never a walk in the park, but we try to make our hiring process as transparent and painless as possible. While we cannot have a conversation with every applicant, we commit to reaching out to every single person who crosses our screen to let them know where they stand in the process within a timely manner (this usually looks like one business week). We recognize the time and effort it takes to prepare and submit this application, and we appreciate your consideration of this role.
For everyone looking for a peek behind the curtain, here’s what our general process will look like:
Role is live and accepting applications on a rolling basis
Candidates with applicable experience will have a 15-minute phone call with GatherDC’s internal screener
- Candidates who advance to the interview stage will have a 60-minute Zoom conversation with the Hiring Manager.
- Candidates who advance to the second stage will have two 45-minute Zoom conversations with GatherDC staff members
- Finalists will be requested to submit an experiential assignment (expected to take no longer than 4 hours; time will be compensated.) and 2-3 references.
- Hiring Manager will be checking references.
November: Offer will be extended!
Feel like a long process? We know. It does to us too. Between Labor Day, Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, Sukkot, Shemini Atzeret, and Simchat Torah - we’ve got a lot of holidays to work around! We promise we’re working as hard as we can to move through this process as quickly as we can while giving both your applications & our staff’s energies during this holiday season the time and attention they deserve.
So you’ve made it to the bottom. Ready to apply!?
Please submit your resume and cover letter by October 3rd to http://xxxxxxxxxxxxx*******************
We deeply value the diversity of insight, perspective, and experience brought by people from backgrounds typically underrepresented in Jewish organizations. This includes Black, Latinx, and Asian people, Black Jews, Jews of Color, Sephardi and Mizrachi Jews, lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, gender non-conforming people, and people with disabilities. We also welcome applications from people of diverse religious, spiritual, and cultural backgrounds.