Camp Young Judaea – Texas seeks a full-time Camp Director to join its senior management team.
The Camp Director serves as the point person in camp operations and ensures that the mission and vision of the camp are carried out through the development, implementation, supervision, and evaluation of assigned core responsibilities.
This role requires a reflective practitioner who thinks imaginatively, works collaboratively, and implements systematically a vision for camp that best fulfills its mission: to inspire campers and staff to grow as individuals and build Jewish communities through meaningful challenges and shared experiences. He/she will be committed to an ongoing process of growth and development in all aspects of camp life, while honoring camp traditions. The camp director will employ strategic thinking and develop mutually respectful relationships with campers, parents, summer staff, and colleagues that, together, enable excellence to be achieved. He/she will be responsible for managing human and financial resources, as well as creating plans for effective marketing that contribute positively to the recruitment and retention of campers and staff.
Camp Young Judaea – Texas Overview
CYJ provides a high quality Jewish overnight summer camp experience for over 650 campers and year-round retreat programming to children, families, and organizations, primarily Austin, Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio The main office is in Houston, TX and the summer office/camp is in Wimberley, TX. Job location can be in Austin, Dallas, or Houston.
• Supervise camp team of full-time employees in addition to high-level seasonal employees
• Lead the camp team in designing, delivering, and evaluating the camp program to ensure that it meets and exceeds the needs and interests of camp’s target populations
• Work in partnership with appropriate lay leaders to ensure high quality experiences for campers and staff
• Implement best practices in talent recruitment, management, and development
• Develop and implement camper recruitment and retention plan to meet the budgetary enrollment goals
• Facilitate the planning and execution of camp reunions and other off-season camp programs
• Oversee financial management of annual camp budget
• Supervise daily operations of camp, including program, administration, camper care and staff supervision, and healthcare
• Support execution of Camp’s strategic plan
• Represent CYJ at local and national conferences, as well as develop relationships with partner and community agencies
• Maintain awareness, knowledge and understanding of current societal trends, including Jewish camping, child development, social media, and customer service
• 8+ years of full-time senior management positions in Jewish overnight camping and/or relevant management experiences
• Bachelor’s degree required / Master’s degree preferred
• Commitment to Judaism and Jewish living/learning and a love for Israel
• Exceptional level of professionalism and accountability
• Superior interpersonal and team-building skills
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Work under pressure, take direction, and work unaided on time-sensitive projects
• Outstanding reflective and creative thinking capacities
• Ability to deliver high standards of customer service, problem-solving, quality control, and evaluation
• Understanding and appreciation of child development
• Dedication to continued personal learning and development
• Exemplary sense of ethics, integrity, and confidentiality
• Well-organized with great attention to detail
• Sense of humor and serious interest in having fun