Religious School Director/Educator
Orangetown Jewish Center (OJC) is a vibrant Conservative synagogue located in Orangeburg, New York. Situated on the NY/NJ border, our community encompasses households from both Rockland County and from Northern New Jersey. OJC is an egalitarian, inclusive and caring community that strives to maintain, model and teach Jewish values through ritual, on-going learning, social action and social programming. Our efforts are focused both within our own community, as well as in the local Jewish and secular community and beyond to Israel and the world.
About Our Program
The educational philosophy in our Kulanu program is that our learners should experience the joys of Judaism in the context of community, while acquiring the knowledge, skills and inspiration to continue to grow "Jewishly" throughout their lives. Our program is called Kulanu (“All of us”) rather than “Religious School” because we envision a community of active, cooperative learners engaged in Jewish life, learning and community.
We offer a K-2 program that meets 1 day per week and a 3-7 program that meets 2 days per week. The total number of Kulanu participants varies yearly between sixty and eighty children. Students learn from one another (“chevruta” learning in “Beit midrash” setting), in small group settings with mentors from our community, and through hands-on project-based curricula. We aspire to maintain a collaborative, experiential and interactive learning community where students are actively engaged.
About the Opportunity
We are seeking a dynamic and innovative Educational Director/Educator who embraces change and new initiatives; who has the vision to inspire others; who will warmly engage our students and their families; and who will be passionate about maintaining and nurturing a thriving Jewish learning community.
Educational Director/Educator responsibilities
* Foster a respectful, positive environment where students, families and staff experience a meaningful connection to the Jewish community.
* Develop, implement, manage and oversee curriculum, and adjust curriculum delivery and learning environments as needed.
* Create and execute a communication plan for the Kulanu community.
* Oversee Kulanu operations, including registration, scheduling, programming, staffing, safety and security, and budgeting.
* Support, train, evaluate and retain staff, and recruit staff as needed.
* Teach as a member of our staff.
* Participate as an ex officio member of the Kulanu Board to coordinate meetings and to represent Kulanu to the greater OJC community and the local community at large.
* Strong Hebrew and Judaic knowledge
* Strong interpersonal and communication skills
* Strong organizational skills
* Educational experience
* Administrative experience
* Technology competence
* Experience with virtual and/or hybrid learning