Temple Menorah is a vibrant, inclusive Reform synagogue located in Redondo Beach, California. During a time of great change and evolution, we seek a Cantor/Cantorial Soloist to be a professional partner in making worship engaging and meaningful, and to help enhance the warmth and positive environment of our community. The Cantor/Cantorial Soloist will report directly to the Senior Rabbi.
Job responsibilities include:
• Service Leading – Musical leadership for all Shabbat evening, Shabbat morning, Festival, High Holiday, Tot Shabbat, and Havdalah services including Torah reading as needed and creation of innovative musical Shabbats and other programs.
• B’nai Mitzvah Student Preparation – tutoring students weekly to learn to chant their Torah portions and ensure that prayers are learned, and creating recordings for each student.
• Choir Direction and Band Coordination – Coordination and leadership of volunteer choir (for High Holy Days and special Shabbat celebrations), Youth Choir (for regular Shabbat celebrations) and Congregational Band (for Musical Shabbat experiences).
• Officiation of Lifecycle Events – funerals, shiva minyans, baby namings, and weddings as needed.
• Teaching – adult trope class and any other adult education, as agreed upon by Cantor/Cantorial Soloist and Senior Rabbi.
• Tuvia Preschool Song Leader – leading song sessions and a weekly Friday morning Shabbat service.
• Clergy Team Participation – engagement in weekly staff meetings, regular meetings with the rabbi, monthly board meetings and other congregational programs and special events.
• Familiarity with Hebrew language and Torah trope
• Familiarity with worship structure and trends in sacred music
• Ability to relate well with people of all ages
• Willingness to be a positive, welcoming presence with Temple Menorah staff, members and guests
• Mastery of at least one musical instrument which can be played as part of worship leading
• Education: At least two years of cantorial school preferred
Hours: approximately 20 hours per week