Anshe Chesed Fairmount Temple in Beachwood, OH is currently seeking a Program/Clergy Assistant (partial to full-time position) to provide administrative support to the synagogue clergy team as well as offer assistance to the front office of the synagogue. The Program/Clergy Assistant will be responsible for coordinating a wide range of administrative, communication, and logistical services in support of various temple programs including the B’nei Mitzvah program and the Wise Aging Initiative. They will own, manage and act on the Cantor’s behalf in making decisions in regards to the Cantor’s schedule. The successful candidate must be collaborative, self-motivated, detail-oriented, and highly organized. The Program/Clergy Assistant will work closely with all staff, lay leaders and volunteers, and reports to the Cantor, Senior Rabbi and Executive Director. The position demands a high level of professionalism, discretion and self-motivation. Strong written and oral communication is a must and a Bachelor’s degree is preferred. Knowledge of synagogue life, Hebrew and Jewish ritual practice is desired but not necessary.
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs a broad range of administrative details and includes correspondence and proactive management and follow-up.
- Screens telephone calls, greets visitors, answers questions. First point of contact for members, visitors to clergy. Ongoing direct contact with congregants to support a range of family needs.
- First point of contact for lifecycle events, specifically B’nei Mitzvah and Funerals, planning and coordinating scheduling, providing support, data entry, notifications, at times with urgency and priority.
- Assists the cantor in organizing the Junior Choir, High Holiday Choir, Volunteer Choir, Shofar Corps, and other extra musicians and special guests throughout the year.
- Collects and assembles data for weekly Shabbat services including the announcements, lists, special blessings/certificates and more. Additional prep for other holidays as needed.
- Maintains clergy calendar, regularly planning and scheduling meetings.
- Offers support and scheduling on behalf of the Wise Aging Initiative.
- Confirms and helps to arrange logistics for various events throughout the year (internally and externally).
- Assists the clergy with all levels of teaching/programming), including planning, communications, tracking, setup and other support.
- Maintains B’nei Mitzvah schedule from the planning process through the actual Bar or Bat Mitzvah, including scheduling, overseeing tutors, preparing documents, Shabbat pamphlet and other B’nei Mitzvah related details.